AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

White text over white background

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm planning a campaign in the media network, specifically in Gmail messages.

For technical reasons, the landing page needs to be a JPG picture.The picture is of anewspaper article.

I assume I need to have a "live" text in the page, mainly for ranking purposes. Is it OK to insert the text below the picture in white letters over white background? It's the same text that appears in the article's picture.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: White text over white background

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Arnon
I would recommend not having white on white. If you're planning on doing this for natural ranking then Google won't like this at all. It's an old tactic that they penalise.

If you're using an image the only way you can really give Google any info is through the alt text - but you wouldn't want to make this too long.

I would recommend having some normal text on the site if you can - so people know what's on the site even if the image doesn't load.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Kane

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arnon
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Arnon,

White on white is a definite no-no and you could get penaliized! But if you really only want the image on the landing page you can use the alt attribute in the image tag for your text. That text does count. If the image is also a link to another page, you can include all that text in the title attribut of the link tag.

Text in these two place can actually carry a little more weight than displayed text in a block element on your page. You can also use that same text or a variation of it in the description meta-tag. I wouldn't bother with the keywords meta-tag for Google, but it is useful for other search engines.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Arnon,

Just to add to the excellent work by the other guys here, there are a couple of policies that are relevant to this discussion and actually something that I was completely unaware of.

AdWords Spam Techniques Policy - "Webmaster Guidelines violations – promoting websites that violate our Webmaster Guidelines. " (This actually adds a number of new policies that must be followed beyond the AdWords Policies)

Here is the one you should keep in mind:

Hidden text and links

I have significant experience with clients who do not want to use actual text on landing pages, they are quite fixated on using 'designers' and making the landing pages look a certain way.  They're willing to sacrifice on QS for looks...I'll never fully understand but I do what they want.  Smiley Happy  As suggested, the alt tags will help a bit. 

I personally suggest that the client allow me to try and re-create the look by using the 'image' as a background then apply the text over it but they don't always want that and I end up in the exact shoes you are right now.

In my experience, "Poor landing page experience" is inevitable.  I hope you have better success than I have.

Cheers!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Arnon
I would recommend not having white on white. If you're planning on doing this for natural ranking then Google won't like this at all. It's an old tactic that they penalise.

If you're using an image the only way you can really give Google any info is through the alt text - but you wouldn't want to make this too long.

I would recommend having some normal text on the site if you can - so people know what's on the site even if the image doesn't load.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Kane
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Arnon,

White on white is a definite no-no and you could get penaliized! But if you really only want the image on the landing page you can use the alt attribute in the image tag for your text. That text does count. If the image is also a link to another page, you can include all that text in the title attribut of the link tag.

Text in these two place can actually carry a little more weight than displayed text in a block element on your page. You can also use that same text or a variation of it in the description meta-tag. I wouldn't bother with the keywords meta-tag for Google, but it is useful for other search engines.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Arnon,

Just to add to the excellent work by the other guys here, there are a couple of policies that are relevant to this discussion and actually something that I was completely unaware of.

AdWords Spam Techniques Policy - "Webmaster Guidelines violations – promoting websites that violate our Webmaster Guidelines. " (This actually adds a number of new policies that must be followed beyond the AdWords Policies)

Here is the one you should keep in mind:

Hidden text and links

I have significant experience with clients who do not want to use actual text on landing pages, they are quite fixated on using 'designers' and making the landing pages look a certain way.  They're willing to sacrifice on QS for looks...I'll never fully understand but I do what they want.  Smiley Happy  As suggested, the alt tags will help a bit. 

I personally suggest that the client allow me to try and re-create the look by using the 'image' as a background then apply the text over it but they don't always want that and I end up in the exact shoes you are right now.

In my experience, "Poor landing page experience" is inevitable.  I hope you have better success than I have.

Cheers!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

Although I have some "Extenuating circumstances", I don't think it will be wise for me to take it to the Judge's. (or should I say the "G-judge")

The circumstances are: The hidden text is exactly identical to the text on the image, so there is no "hidden content", just hidden characters.

But thanks to you guys, I will not risk my (and my client's) neck for this.

Thank you Pete, Tom and Moshe for your advise and ideas.

Arnon