AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Which is better: changing the destination URL or doing a 301 redirect

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are re-organizing our site. We have destination URLs with the format:

http://www.domainhere.com/folder1/runtogetherpagenamehere.aspx

We would like to use destination URLs with this format:

http://www.domainhere.com/folder2/new-page-name/

So the folder is changing and the filename is changing, but still the same domain and the content on the page will remain the same.

Will changing the destination URL on the ads trigger a re-evaluation of the ads which could affect performance? Is doing a 301 redirect instead acceptable? Is one way preferred over the other?

Any insights into this matter is appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Which is better: changing the destination URL or doing a 301 redir

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI

If you want to maintain the ad history then you will have to do 301 but here are few things which you need to take care of while doing 301

• For analytics: make sure you pass gclid from old page to new page while redirecting to make sure that analytics tracking is not lost, if you are manually tagginng the URLs then you should do same for utm parameters
  • if you do 301 then then you will need to customize a macro or something to replace new destination URLs with old ones in your destination URL report

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Elizabeth,

I will normally do both, the redirect first, then updating the destination URL's. Changing the destination URL for the ad will trigger a review. Your ad will not be eligible to show on other than Google until it has been approved. It will also do that delete current ad, add the new ad thing.

Here's what I would do:

1. Do the 301 redirect, keeping Nik's advice in mind so that the query string is included in the redirect. How you do that depends on what web server software you use. Redirect all your landing pages.

2. Create "new" ads with the new destination URL.

3. When the ads with the new destinations have been approved, pause or delete the ads with the old destinations.

This will keep your ads running while you make the changes to the destination URL's.

For keywords level destinations, the delete/add rule does not apply. You can update them any time without interrupting your campaign.

There is a good reason to do the 301 re-directs, particularly if organic traffic also lands on this page. The 301 re-direct will also update the organic index. If you are reorganizing the whole site, I would recommend 301 re-directs for every page on the site.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI

If you want to maintain the ad history then you will have to do 301 but here are few things which you need to take care of while doing 301

• For analytics: make sure you pass gclid from old page to new page while redirecting to make sure that analytics tracking is not lost, if you are manually tagginng the URLs then you should do same for utm parameters
  • if you do 301 then then you will need to customize a macro or something to replace new destination URLs with old ones in your destination URL report

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Elizabeth,

I will normally do both, the redirect first, then updating the destination URL's. Changing the destination URL for the ad will trigger a review. Your ad will not be eligible to show on other than Google until it has been approved. It will also do that delete current ad, add the new ad thing.

Here's what I would do:

1. Do the 301 redirect, keeping Nik's advice in mind so that the query string is included in the redirect. How you do that depends on what web server software you use. Redirect all your landing pages.

2. Create "new" ads with the new destination URL.

3. When the ads with the new destinations have been approved, pause or delete the ads with the old destinations.

This will keep your ads running while you make the changes to the destination URL's.

For keywords level destinations, the delete/add rule does not apply. You can update them any time without interrupting your campaign.

There is a good reason to do the 301 re-directs, particularly if organic traffic also lands on this page. The 301 re-direct will also update the organic index. If you are reorganizing the whole site, I would recommend 301 re-directs for every page on the site.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both for the suggestions!