AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Which AD is shown to the user?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the question.

3 Adwords experts are optimising a client website. All three of them are using their own Adwords accounts. Lets name them as Expert A, Expert B, Expert C. Consider that the three experts are using the SAME keyword and ad creative in an AD group. Expert A is using Broad Match Expert B is using "Phrase Match" and Expert C is using [Exact Match]. So, Which AD is shown to the user when the keyword used by the experts is typed in the search? Is it the AD from Expert A, Expert B or Expert C? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

That all depends on overall adrank.   There are several f...

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

That all depends on overall adrank.

There are several factors missing here - AdRank is Quality score X Bid = AdRank. QS, and bid are not part of the example, so there's no way to tell based on match type alone. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6300

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Which AD is shown to the user when the keyword used by the experts is typed in the search?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello iboy;

As said, it's more complex. (Otherwise, it wouldn't be the beauty of AdWords algorithm - Would it? Smiley Wink)

I assume, that those are 3 keywords on different ad-groups on the same campaign, or 3 keywords on different campaigns, but, on the same account. (In contrast to your question, Policy does NOT allow you to target the same landing page by using different accounts. This would be a violation op AdWords policy!)

The first question to be asked is, which keyword triggers the ad? or in AdWords phrasing : "When several keywords match a search query, which one is used?"

You asked : "Which AD is shown to the user when the keyword used by the experts is typed in the search?

This question is answered in the help article:

"If you have multiple keywords that are the same, the system will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type. For example, if the query is "plumber", and both a broad-match keyword "plumber" and exact-match keyword "plumber" exist in your ad group, the system will prefer to use the exact-match keyword"

There are varieties of scenarios possible. ( Again, it's AdWords ...Smiley Happy You can read on more in the article - I linked). As a rule of thumb, the more the keyword is specific to the search query ,- the more likely it triggers the ad. (In AdWords terminology we call it: "relevancy" - That is all what AdWords is about : providing the most relevent ad per search term.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hello Iboy,   You already get good answer of your questio...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Iboy,

You already get good answer of your question. In addition to this there are few other things which will decide which ad will show to user:

If all keywords have same bid, then it depend on the QS of keywords. Keywords or restrictive match keyword which will have more quality score will trigger ad on top position. QS of keywords also depend on the quality of landing page and historical performance of display url in ad text, so for all three advertiser same keywords or same keywords match can have different quality score.

Dinesh
My Blog

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

That all depends on overall adrank.   There are several f...

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

That all depends on overall adrank.

There are several factors missing here - AdRank is Quality score X Bid = AdRank. QS, and bid are not part of the example, so there's no way to tell based on match type alone. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6300

Tom

Oops, Forgot to mention that the bids are equal!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if the bids are equal? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Which AD is shown to the user when the keyword used by the experts is typed in the search?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello iboy;

As said, it's more complex. (Otherwise, it wouldn't be the beauty of AdWords algorithm - Would it? Smiley Wink)

I assume, that those are 3 keywords on different ad-groups on the same campaign, or 3 keywords on different campaigns, but, on the same account. (In contrast to your question, Policy does NOT allow you to target the same landing page by using different accounts. This would be a violation op AdWords policy!)

The first question to be asked is, which keyword triggers the ad? or in AdWords phrasing : "When several keywords match a search query, which one is used?"

You asked : "Which AD is shown to the user when the keyword used by the experts is typed in the search?

This question is answered in the help article:

"If you have multiple keywords that are the same, the system will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type. For example, if the query is "plumber", and both a broad-match keyword "plumber" and exact-match keyword "plumber" exist in your ad group, the system will prefer to use the exact-match keyword"

There are varieties of scenarios possible. ( Again, it's AdWords ...Smiley Happy You can read on more in the article - I linked). As a rule of thumb, the more the keyword is specific to the search query ,- the more likely it triggers the ad. (In AdWords terminology we call it: "relevancy" - That is all what AdWords is about : providing the most relevent ad per search term.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hello Iboy,   You already get good answer of your questio...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Iboy,

You already get good answer of your question. In addition to this there are few other things which will decide which ad will show to user:

If all keywords have same bid, then it depend on the QS of keywords. Keywords or restrictive match keyword which will have more quality score will trigger ad on top position. QS of keywords also depend on the quality of landing page and historical performance of display url in ad text, so for all three advertiser same keywords or same keywords match can have different quality score.

Dinesh
My Blog

I'm reading this question for the first time and I cannot...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I'm reading this question for the first time and I cannot imagine any other real-world scenario except affiliates.

There was a situation about a year ago with an affiliate advertiser who was forced to use ... a limited set of ads, if I remember correctly, ad was trying to beat another affiliate competing for the same spot.

In pure theory, if all advertisers start at exactly the same time, use the same blank accounts, with no history, create perfect, identical accounts, which get approved at the exact moment in time, and neither get to show its ads first, I'd say that the exact match account should be shown.

In practice each account has its own history, and if there's one with a better history (overall) and a better historical CTR for that keyword (even if history is recent), then that account may win and show its ad, as it may have a better ad rank (through a higher, history-based QS).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Creative brain

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Calin;

Your brain is very creative ....   Smiley Happy Yesterday you found a violation of Policy by searching on Google an uncommon word of  a law firm, revealing that it was running another campaign, and now, pointing out, that this is an affiliate case...  Smiley Wink

Not saying it is, Moshe, I'm just saying I cannot think o...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Not saying it is, Moshe, I'm just saying I cannot think of a practical, real, live situation when you have three different advertisers running the same campaign, with the same constraints.

Maybe I'm NOT creative enough Smiley Happy. And affiliate advertising is ok, even with AdWords, if everything is set up correctly. Whether it is profitable or not, that is another question.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.