AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

When to delete keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have our keywords set to enable if the quality score is 5 or better and to pause if 4 or lower. However I don't want lots of paused keywords clogging up the campaigns. Is there a way to run a report and see how long certain keywords have been paused? If the keywords have been paused for a month or a quarter I would want to delete them at that point.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: When to delete keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey itcbiz,

I want to suggest you that run an experiment on those keywords which are not getting impression and having low quality score, 

Increase there bid accordingly and use modified broad, than analyse that keywords are getting impression/clicks or not, if yes than no need to delete keywords else delete them which are useless.

For this you can also use automated rule or you may start an experiment.

Regards

-Vicky

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I have never come across that type of report.  I know you can filter based on the status but I am not sure about a report that shows the duration of a keyword being paused.  

I'm curious...are you pausing those keywords because you find a significant lack in performance or increase in CPC's between 4 & 5/10 keywords?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

How to delete keywords that were paused for a month or a quarter

Before running a batch to delete a bunch of keywords process be sure to ALWAYS export all your keywords into a csv!

First you need to isolate paused keywords with QS4 or lower.

In your AdWords editor, perform the following task:

Showing Statistics for: {Date range you designate a "paused for a long time", in your case it might be past 30 days (Month) or past 90 days (QTR)

Keywords Tab: Have this tab open

Advanced Search: Open the Advanced search box

AdWords_Editor_Help_Keywords

In your Advanced Search Box Select 

Campaign name: The campaign(s) you want to delete keywords

Settings: Quality Score is equal or less than 4

Match Type: All Match Types 

Performance Statistics: Impr. equals 0

Save Search as: Name "Delete 0 imp QS<4" or somthing like that

Does that help?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey itcbiz,

I want to suggest you that run an experiment on those keywords which are not getting impression and having low quality score, 

Increase there bid accordingly and use modified broad, than analyse that keywords are getting impression/clicks or not, if yes than no need to delete keywords else delete them which are useless.

For this you can also use automated rule or you may start an experiment.

Regards

-Vicky