AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

When the ticker goes backwards....

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I was checking my account earlier today and when I refreshed the screen, the number of impressions and clicks both dropped by a few.

Does this mean that Google removed some fraudulent clicks?

A colleague of mine is convinced that a competitor is repeatedly clicking on ads to drive up costs, but I have a little more faith that Google has ways of catching this kind of behavior. It would be reassuring to know for sure that multiple clicks from the same computer in a single day are only counted once.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: When the ticker goes backwards....

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy,

One thing you can do is add the "invalid click" data column to the campaigns tab. That will tell you how many invalid clicks you've been credited for.

Multiple clicks from the same computer are not necessarily invalid clicks, depending on your market. In very competitive markets, price comparison is part of the purchase cycle. A user clicks on your ad and reviews your offer, let's say by right-clicking on the ad and opening the page in a new tab or window. Now the user goes back to the SERP and clicks on a competitors ad. After reviewing, goes back to the original SERP and clicks your ad again. That's is not an invalid click.

If multiple clicks come in a short period of time, those would be invalid clicks. If you are convinced a competitor is clicking on your ads to use up your budget, look through you web logs for AdWords clicks. The most reliable method of identifying AdWords traffic is to look for a gclid value in the query string (assuming you have auto-tagging enabled). Look for repeated clicks from a single IP address daily and on several days. You can then block your ads from showing for that IP address.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: When the ticker goes backwards....

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy,

One thing you can do is add the "invalid click" data column to the campaigns tab. That will tell you how many invalid clicks you've been credited for.

Multiple clicks from the same computer are not necessarily invalid clicks, depending on your market. In very competitive markets, price comparison is part of the purchase cycle. A user clicks on your ad and reviews your offer, let's say by right-clicking on the ad and opening the page in a new tab or window. Now the user goes back to the SERP and clicks on a competitors ad. After reviewing, goes back to the original SERP and clicks your ad again. That's is not an invalid click.

If multiple clicks come in a short period of time, those would be invalid clicks. If you are convinced a competitor is clicking on your ads to use up your budget, look through you web logs for AdWords clicks. The most reliable method of identifying AdWords traffic is to look for a gclid value in the query string (assuming you have auto-tagging enabled). Look for repeated clicks from a single IP address daily and on several days. You can then block your ads from showing for that IP address.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords