AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

When several keywords match a search query

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

This question has come on another language AdWords help forum:

The following is a quote from the help center:

" Only one keyword from your account is allowed to trigger an ad per search query. The examples below describe what happens when multiple keywords in your account match a single search query at the same time"

Does that mean that, if an advertiser run multiple campaigns, in his account, in parallel: on desktop and on mobile,- then similar/ duplicate keywords compete among themselves, simultaneously, on all platforms ? (or is that an erratum in the help article)?

(If it is across all platforms, it could happen that a keyword of mobile campaign, would trigger a "mobile ad" that would be shown on a desktop? - can that occur?)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
4 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MosheTLV
September 2015

Re: When several keywords match a search query

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If there's a mobile campaign and a desktop campaign, and they're separate, then the platform of the search query dictates the origin of the keyword.

One cannot perform a search on desktop and see ads from a mobile targeted campaign, because that campaign is not eligible for that auction.

At least that's my 2 cents.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

Whoops...clearly I misunderstood.  I see the question/issue now is with the wording on the help page.  It starts talking about account level scenarios then jumps to 'same ad group' then matching in 'multiple ad groups'.

If I'm understanding correctly now, this described campaign set up seems ideal and would not have any issues serving ads only where intended.

If the search originates on mobile, the mobile only campaign would be the one to serve the ads. The same would apply to the desktop campaigns if the search originated on a desktop. 

Mobile Devices only campaign serves only mobile based queries.

Desktop/Laptop only campaign serves only desktop based queries. 

My guess is that device settings trump the rest of this sorting.  If there is only one campaign for mobile devices that contains the queried search terms, then only that campaign would be looked at to serve ads and the competition for the ad slot will be contained within this campaign only. 

The same (previously discussed) rules set would apply if multiple mobile only campaigns existed in the same account that contained the same keywords (still assuming mobile queries).  The desktop campaigns still would not be considered for a query on a mobile device.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

It was interesting to read how the conversation went into the wrong direction first. Finally, however, Calin and Tom hit the nail on the head.

>> If the search originates on mobile, the mobile only campaign would be the one to serve the ads. The same would apply to the desktop campaigns if the search originated on a desktop. <<

100% correct. It's as simple as that.

>> If there is only one campaign for mobile devices that contains the queried search terms ... <<

In this scenario you don't have duplicate keywords, unless they are housed in 2 separate ad groups, in which case substitute campaign with ad group in the above explanation.

On the other hand, if there is only one ad group you only have one keyword because if you list it again the system will reject it.

Now drill down to your keywords in the AdWords interface and apply segmentation by device. If the search originates on mobile device, the Mobile devices row will accrue the impression. If the search originates on a computer, the Computers row will accrue the impression.

Cheers,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

I'm far from a 'behind the scenes' expert here but here are my thoughts and current understanding:

My first recommendation for this user would be to separate the Mobile/Desktop campaigns but I have a feeling you already understand that part.

If a campaign was set to run on both desktop and mobile (all devices perhaps), I would say that yes, ads (intended for a mobile audience), if they were to win the ad spot, would show up where the query has taken place or on the Search Partner page.  Which is why I think its so heavily suggested to separate mobile campaigns.  Very different setup - Mobile CTAs - Mobile Landing Pages etc...

My understanding is yes, when multiple keywords within an account are a possible match for a query, there is a bit of competition or comparison within the campaigns to determine the 'best' keyword/ad combination to award the ad slot to. 

The help article you posted runs through the process by which the 'best' match is determined quite nicely.

At a quick glance, it appears that the process looks like this in order when keywords on the same account are competing:

1. Exact Matches
2. Most restrictive Match Type
3. Applicable Geo-Targeting
4. Ad Rank

I guess in the end, a campaign targeting all devices or both desktop and mobile would have ads, not desktop specific ads or mobile specific ads.  Certain Ad Extensions may be employed but if I'm not mistaken, it would be the campaign/ad group settings that would determine which platform the ads are set to be shown on.

Not sure if this helps...thought I'd chime in.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tom;

thanks for that,

I might have not been explicit, but as you have already guessed - the user is running separate campaigns :a campaign for mobile devices, and separate one for desktops (+ a 3rd one on the display network - that is irrelevant for search queries).

If that were mobile + desktop in the same campaign, eventually, the list of priorities in the article would rule. As said, the question is what happens for separate campaigns on different platforms, but in the same account.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If there's a mobile campaign and a desktop campaign, and they're separate, then the platform of the search query dictates the origin of the keyword.

One cannot perform a search on desktop and see ads from a mobile targeted campaign, because that campaign is not eligible for that auction.

At least that's my 2 cents.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

Whoops...clearly I misunderstood.  I see the question/issue now is with the wording on the help page.  It starts talking about account level scenarios then jumps to 'same ad group' then matching in 'multiple ad groups'.

If I'm understanding correctly now, this described campaign set up seems ideal and would not have any issues serving ads only where intended.

If the search originates on mobile, the mobile only campaign would be the one to serve the ads. The same would apply to the desktop campaigns if the search originated on a desktop. 

Mobile Devices only campaign serves only mobile based queries.

Desktop/Laptop only campaign serves only desktop based queries. 

My guess is that device settings trump the rest of this sorting.  If there is only one campaign for mobile devices that contains the queried search terms, then only that campaign would be looked at to serve ads and the competition for the ad slot will be contained within this campaign only. 

The same (previously discussed) rules set would apply if multiple mobile only campaigns existed in the same account that contained the same keywords (still assuming mobile queries).  The desktop campaigns still would not be considered for a query on a mobile device.

-Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

It was interesting to read how the conversation went into the wrong direction first. Finally, however, Calin and Tom hit the nail on the head.

>> If the search originates on mobile, the mobile only campaign would be the one to serve the ads. The same would apply to the desktop campaigns if the search originated on a desktop. <<

100% correct. It's as simple as that.

>> If there is only one campaign for mobile devices that contains the queried search terms ... <<

In this scenario you don't have duplicate keywords, unless they are housed in 2 separate ad groups, in which case substitute campaign with ad group in the above explanation.

On the other hand, if there is only one ad group you only have one keyword because if you list it again the system will reject it.

Now drill down to your keywords in the AdWords interface and apply segmentation by device. If the search originates on mobile device, the Mobile devices row will accrue the impression. If the search originates on a computer, the Computers row will accrue the impression.

Cheers,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

OK; This help article needs to be revised to include "Lakatos' citation: "If the search originates on mobile, the mobile only campaign would be the one to serve the ads. The same would apply to the desktop campaigns if the search originated on a desktop"

Thanks guys,

-Moshe

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks Moshe. The citation actually comes from Tom thoughSmiley LOL