AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

When does Exact Match Get Prioritised?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Want to ask a quick question, I am currently working for a client in the commercial real estate space. I have set up campaigns and adgroups for some of the broader head tems as well as the longer tail terms.

I have some keywords that include a location e.g. Commercial real estate in LocationX

When I search for these my broad match ads are showing. I know I can solve the problem by putting this term as a negative in my broader campaigns but still, why does adwords not prioritise the exact match keyword and ad, surely that is most relevant!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KevMcAuley
September 2015

Re: When does Exact Match Get Prioritised?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi KevMcAuley and welcome to the community,

If you have the same keyword at the same bid "generally" AdWords likes to use the most precise match type (but doesn't always). If you have set your bids differently on these the adrank on each match type is going to be different and the one with the highest is most likely to win the spot. 

Another thing to consider is what kind of search volume the long tail terms get. Are they not showing due to low search volumes? If this happens (and I have seen it a lot with the kind of structure you have just described) then the ads will be triggered from another keyword that is eligible to enter the auction. 

Here is a pretty good explaination on how similar keywords match to search terms which may shed a bit more light on it for you.

Let me know if that all makes sense.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi KevMcAuley,

As per Google there are some exceptions to preference to the exact keyword.

One such case is " On rare occasions, the system will prefer to use a keyword that is cheaper -- meaning it has a lower cost-per-click (CPC) bid -- and has a higher Quality Score and a higher Ad Rank."

So if your broad match terms are cheaper than your long tail keywords with a higher ad rank, then that will be preferred.

Please find more information on 'How similar keywords match to search terms' here.

Hope this helps

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks purefuzz,

That makes sense. I didnt really think about the adrank of each. Just assumed they were the same but I guess QS can be different and if search volume is low.

The whole "Search volume is low" though doesnt make sense. What is the lower limit of search volume that causes this issue.

Seems like it prevents a level of granularity that could give you a real advantage. What I mean is, you want to have relevant ads for relevant keywords but if there is not the volume then you'll have to settle for just having a more general ad to cover the keyword?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KevMcAuley
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi KevMcAuley,

Google is pretty vague about the lower limt. Basically, it is described as a privacy issue. When the searches are few enough and attracting few enough clicks as to make the user personally identifiable through the search query, that's when the keyword will say "Low Search Volume".

My own view is if there are that few searches, those keywords wouldn't have much of an impact on your overall campaign in any case.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi there,

I tend to get a lower QS if I am trying to target Phrase and Exact Match. I tend to bid more obviously but I agree with the explanations given above.

A (higher QS x lower bid) might beat the (Lower QS x higher bid)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys, 

Much appreciated.