AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

When I add ValueTrack, should I re-create all ads in my account?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to add both value track parameters, and the gclid. Is there an automated way to do this?

does it mean that i will need to manually change all ads in my account and get the re-approved and lost their history? how harmful is it to lose such history?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When I add ValueTrack, should I re-create all ads in my account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @jay s,

The replacement of AdWords Destination URL with Final URL has been a major step in this regard. If your existing ads are already using Final URLs, you can use Tracking Template to avoid losing past performance history associated with your ads, keywords or sitelinks. You can read more about it here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en

To your other question, if you would like to use both Glcid and ValueTrack parameters, it means you will need to use a combination of both manual and auto tagging. It is something I don't advise. Either use Auto Tagging or Manual. Going with both at the same time can sometimes create conflicts and you may lose certain tracking data from being properly recorded in Analytics.

Learn more here https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en

Edit (forgot to answer your last question)

Having access to past performance data is always helpful in further fine-tuning and optimizing campaigns. Not just that, it proves really helpful even when you create new campaigns as well. You always know what worked in past and what not, and how, and to what extent? You get readily available insights which may otherwise take months to accumulate again. Hence, losing past performance data is definitely not advisable. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Well I'm confused -

1. The adwords web interfaces doesn't use at all the terms "destination URL" and "Final url".
It only has "URL options" which talk about a case where I use third party tracking. I don't.
On adwords Editors I do see these terms, and all my ads are set as Final Urls, and Destination URL is empty.
So what is the meaning of this? that in Adwords web interface I can't do this change, and on the Editor, If I have an ad with a "domain.com" as final url,
then I can add to the empty destination url the url "domain.com/?keywork={keyword}, and people would actually land on my destination url, and the ad would not have to get reapproved?

2. Why would using both gclid cause losing data? I need raw ValueClick data in order to know about a specific visitor, what keyword he came from.
While Gclid, I want to use it only in order to get upload aggregadted data about conversions that don't happen on my website, which I shall upload back to Adwords.
These are two different goals. (what else would someone use gclid for?)

3. I wasn't talking about how losing performance data will efffect my ability to analyze things, I meant how could it effect my ranking, maybe I will lose QS, etc.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @jay s,

Welcome again. 

Let me answer your queries one by one -

Do not confuse yourself, let me cut it short for you. I tried explaining things from the basics. Forget that destination URL, it's of no use anymore and may be removed from the editor soon. You do not need to enter anything there in the empty destination URL field. 

So, how to setup tracking with URLs without losing performance history?

I will explain it assuming you are going to use browser interface to set it up. You can setup tracking at different levels in AdWords account hierarchy viz. Account, Campaigns, Adgroups, Ads, and keywords. The first thing you need to do is to decide which level you would to set up the tracking at. If it's a basic tracking that will be the same for all ads in your campaign, you will need to set it up at campaign level. If the tracking is going to change in different adgroups, you should to set it up at adgoup level, and so on...

To setup tracking at Campaign level, go to Settings > Campaign URL Options and enter you Tracking Template there. From your example, if you need to track something like keyword={keyword}, enter the following in the Tracking Template Field -

{lpurl}?keyword={keyword}

In your actual ad, this {lpurl} will be replaced by your ads' final urls. 

To your second question, that was an advice I gave based on my personal experience. Even Google does not advise using both Auto and Manual Tagging as a combination. The choice is entirely yours. If you rely only on Auto Tagging, you would be getting most of the relevant AdWords data (source, campaigns, keywords etc.) automatically into Analytics, though your AdWords and Analytics should be linked to get this and to allow you have other insights. 

If you still need to use both, you are more than welcome. Many advertisers use a combination, but sometimes it may drop information. That's the only concern. Rest is fine. 

To your final question, when you edit an ad or keyword it actually becomes new and thus its associated score may get affected. Specifically in the case of ad copies, changes may be dominantly noticeable. 

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, I think I got it now.
When you say I will be getting adwords data into analytics with auto tagging, isn't it just aggregated data?
If I want data for each session that was running on my site, I must use my own tracking for this right? and therefore will need to add the ValueTrack parameters.

Also, you said I need to do this through "Tracking template". What is the "custom parameter" option? what different uses does it have?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello @jay s,

Okay, so our discussion is into right direction Smiley Happy 

Let me take on your questions one by one again. 

Auto Tagging gives you several data set automatically. I mean without any additional setup. If you want to get all such data using Manual Tagging with ValueTrack, you will need to write really long URLs where chances for mistakes are bound to increase. Take sometime to go though the following link and see if Auto Tagging can actually give you the data you need or not -

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663?hl=en

To your next question - custom parameters are the parameters which are not available as ValueTrack. For example if you need to track the name of your campaign, it won't be possible with ValueTrack. You will need to use your own custom parameters. 

You can write a custom parameter like campaignname with its value as BlueWidget and use it in your URL something like campaign={_campaignname} to track your campaign name BlueWidget in GA.

More is here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Jay S,

As long as you don't use the utm_* variable names in your tracking template, you shouldn't have any problem with duplicate or missing data. There is a 1024 character limit on the length of the query string, including the gclid, so make sure your query string won't go over that length. That could cause data loss. If you want data for each session, you will need your own tracking for that.

The history of your ads and keywords is never lost or deleted. It's all still there although you may need to change your settings to see it.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords