AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What would be the main reason/logic behind using it?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody.. I am new to this forum.. i have one confusion hope you will help me out...

I have heard that if we make separate ad groups by match type then I have to use other match types as negative in each group.But what would be the main logic behind it i didn't understand and i think it may be effect my ads to be triggered?

For Instance, If I have adgroup of exact match with the keyword [bamboo flooring company] and the same keyword if I use negative in the adgroup of broad match then may it will affect my ad to trigger? It could be happen or I am completely at fault..Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What would be the main reason/logic behind using it?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

If you have a negative keyword alongside the exact but positive keyword then AdWords will not show for that keyword.

If you choose to use an exact match of a keyword then there is no reason to use the negative of that same keyword.

The scenario where it may make sense to use a negative keyword is when you use a broad match for a keyword. Broad match can return all sorts of combinations for a given keyword. You would then use negative keywords to stop your ad from showing on some of the possibly irrelevant keywords that broad match may return.

So, if you use seperate ad groups, each with a different match type, you would be advised to use negative keywords where matching is less retrictive. Since exact match is the most restrictive, the match is exactly what you tell it to be, there is no need to use a negative with it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply sir.. But that was not my question..i think i was at lack to make you my question understandable...My question not that where we have to add the negative keywords..Else i want to ask...

If i make three adgroups of same keyword with all match types then i heard that its better to add negative match types across the adgroups is sensible , for instance if i have a keyword blue widgets in my all three adgroups with all match types, then if i use negative keyword "blue widgets" as phrase match in my broad match adgroup, then what would be the benefit for that? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi William S,

Let's say the keyword is blue widgets and you have 3 AdGroups, one for broad, one for phrase and one for exact match. Setup your AdGroups something like this:

Broad Match Group:

Keyword: 

blue widgets

Negative:

-"blue widgets"

-[blue widgets]

Phrase Match Group:

Keyword:

"blue widgets"

Negative:

-[blue widgets]

Exact Match Group:

[blue widgets]

This will assure the exact match group gets the impression for exact matched, the phrase match group for phrase matched, and the broad match group gets everything else.

One note, I never use broad match anymore since the introduction of Broad Match Modified (BMM). With that, you place a + sign in front of each keyword that is requeired for a match. In this case it would be +blue +widgest.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords