AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What's the difference between Broad Match Modifier and Exact Close Variant keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I've recently read about the new Close Variants to exact match keywords, and it made me wonder.. it's the same thing as broad match modifier keywords?

Let's compare:

Broad Match Modifier keyword: +running +shoes +men

vs.

Exact Match Close Variant keyword: [running shoes men]

If someone's search query is: "running shoes for men" .. then.. both of the above-mentioned match types are doing the same thing! If anything, I still feel like the Broad Match Modifier is a better option because it allows you to discover new queries, and doesn't limit you.

Looking to hear arguments and thoughts.

Cheers,

Michal

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

What's the difference between Broad Match Modifier and Exact Close Variant keywords?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Michal,

As @RobSkelton stated correctly BMM trigger for additional keyword search terms and Exact match close variants will trigger for re-order of words and search terms that has functional words. I would prefer both BMM and exact match keywords in campaigns.

Probably would create separate adgroup for exact match keywords and prefer to add functional words and reorder words in negative keywords for exact match keywords. I personally like exact to trigger exactly matched search terms.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Michal,

in your example they would both be triggered. But if the search was jogging shoes men, or running shoes for blokes, then just the BMM would be triggered. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Michal,

As @RobSkelton stated correctly BMM trigger for additional keyword search terms and Exact match close variants will trigger for re-order of words and search terms that has functional words. I would prefer both BMM and exact match keywords in campaigns.

Probably would create separate adgroup for exact match keywords and prefer to add functional words and reorder words in negative keywords for exact match keywords. I personally like exact to trigger exactly matched search terms.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. For "jogging shoes men", I don't think BMM would get triggered. I quote:

"Broad match modifiers ensure that your ads will only show when someone’s search is an exact match or close variant of your keyword. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (like "floor" and "flooring"). Synonyms (like "quick" and "fast") and related searches (like "shoes" and "boots") aren't considered close variants."

I wouldn't consider "jogging" a "misspellings, singular and plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings", but rather a synonym.. which doesn't apply to BMM. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497702

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Neha,

Thanks for the reply. BMM should also allow re-order of words, so I don't see the true value of Exact Match Close Variant still.. BMM allows the insertion of functional words too...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Michal B: BMM keyword do allow re-order and BMM also trigger for additional keywords other than functional words. Exact match will allow reorder and only trigger for functional words. For Example:

If the keyword is +blue +shoes +online and [blue shoes online]

Search term is buy blue shoes online

Only BMM +blue +shoes +online will trigger

Hope am able to explain better.

Thanks

Neha