AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What's the Criteria Google Uses to Recycle and Adwords Phone Number?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I understand the Adwords generated phone numbers are auto generated but I'm sure they rarely change once initially generated as long as the Adwords account is active.  The reason is, in order to provide incentive to keep advertising/spending with Google, they want to show as many conversions as possible.  So if someone clicks on an ad but doesn't call the number until several days or a couple weeks later, Google's not going to change the number on you so that those phone conversions don't get counted.

Plus then there's the general customer service issue is that we all mostly use mobile phones which store the contact numbers used and customers may want to give repeat business and just look up the number they use.  That would be a big no no to change the number.  Now if the adwords account has been inactive for a while, then I imagine the number eventually gets recycled.

Does anyone know what the criteria is for determining whether to recycle the phone number or not?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What's the Criteria Google Uses to Recycle and Adwords Phone Numbe

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Jeff C,

I remember I had a discussion with AdWords team on this topic. There's does not seem to be any candid criteria on it. Google says - Do not use the forwarding numbers outside for additional marketing purposes. It makes sense because the numbers can change any time.

Practically, it does give birth to a situation where customers can call the same number from their phone book if they have saved the number. 

But then there's another side of it, Google may be buying these call forwarding numbers from any third party (a guess, though). In this scenario, even Google has no clue as to when and how often these numbers may change. 

My advice - don't use the forwarding numbers outside for additional marketing purposes. Bear with it if tracking phone conversion is really important, don't forget it's free. Or if you can afford to pay for this, use a third party call-tracking service. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: What's the Criteria Google Uses to Recycle and Adwords Phone Numbe

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff C,

Just to back up what @Ratan-Jha has said, the following is taken from this article -

"Outside of Google ads: Custom Google forwarding numbers shouldn’t be used for any other purpose (except where you used these numbers for website call conversion tracking). These numbers are a property of Google and can change or be reassigned at any time."

As a side note it's also worth considering the following found here -

"...to show a forwarding number, your call extensions need to get a minimum number of clicks in a four-week period."

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.