AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What is "Is Negative changed from 0 to 1" in the change logs?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

We're getting this in a few accounts lately.  Wassup?

Phil

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: What is "Is Negative changed from 0 to 1" in the change logs?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

I can confirm - this is triggered by changes to Devices targeting, specifically opting in or out of Desktop, Mobile or Tablets. Basically, internal implementation details are leaking through the user interface. When opting out, an internal "Is Negative" flag changes from 0 (meaning "not negative", that is "positive", that is "do target") to 1 (meaning "is negative", that is "do not target"). When opting in, the same flag changes from 1 to 0.

The obscure message is an oversight. We are looking into this. I expect you would see a more reasonable message for this case some time in the near future.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author philFMF
September 2015

Re: What is "Is Negative changed from 0 to 1" in the change

Google Employee
# 15
Google Employee

The message should be fixed now. Instead of the obscure "Is Negative changed from 0 to 1", you should see something like this:

Platform: 'Mobile Highend' changed from included to excluded

View solution in original post

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi philFMF,

Can you possibly post a screenshot so we can see where do you see this message?

Thanks,
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Phil,

I just saw the same change in the AdWords change logs. According to the AdWords API guide, it refers to campaign criteria that would prevent the campaign's ad from being shown. 1 would mean paused and 0 would mean active.

Do you mind telling me what provoked the change? Did it stem from DART or any other 3rd party software that has access to your AdWords account? Who/which user got credit for that change in the AdWords change log?

I look forward to your answers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I saw this in our logs and backtracked through some changes.  I believe it happened when we made a change to the devices that a particular campaign would appear on, in our case we added tablets as a qualified device which likely triggered the message stating "Is Negative changed from 1 to 0".  Based on DRosenhaus's reply I assume this meant tablets are now active.  Out of curiousity I removed tablets as a qualified device and got a message stating "Is Negative changed from 0 to 1", indicating that the tablets are no longer active.  Hope this helps! (and hopefully I'm not way off here!)  

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

DRosenhaus,

We have rules running in Acquisio, but nothing that would turn something on or off.  I would do that in the Editor.

Phil

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi, Zee
I tried to post a Snag, but couldn't figure out how to get this interface to upload it. It shows in the standard right hand column in the change log.

Phil

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Shaun_M,
Clarity, thy name is Google!

Thanks!

Phil

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi philFMF,

Have you tried to post your quesiton on the AdWords API forum?

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Zee,
I haven't, but I'm not using API right now.

Phil
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

I can confirm - this is triggered by changes to Devices targeting, specifically opting in or out of Desktop, Mobile or Tablets. Basically, internal implementation details are leaking through the user interface. When opting out, an internal "Is Negative" flag changes from 0 (meaning "not negative", that is "positive", that is "do target") to 1 (meaning "is negative", that is "do not target"). When opting in, the same flag changes from 1 to 0.

The obscure message is an oversight. We are looking into this. I expect you would see a more reasonable message for this case some time in the near future.