AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What happens when locations overlap?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I hope someone can please help clarify, as I think the documentation could perhaps be improved in this area:

Suppose that I want to location target a specific city in the UK. I target that using a combination of selected cities and postcode (zip codes).

I know in principle I shouldn't need to exclude other locations. But supposing I want to (belt and braces), here's the problem:

If I manually select every other place in the UK...this will take a lot of time.

So my question is: If I were to exclude the UK as a whole, and to include the specific locations within the UK (as described above), would the inclusion "win" over the exclusion?

So will it decide that I want to exclude all of the excluded area (the whole of the UK), except for the included area (which is within the UK).

Many thanks for your help.

Richard

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard M
September 2015

Re: What happens when locations overlap?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

"Exclude" is used to remove / rule out a location within a bigger location - so it would make sense to exclude London while targeting the rest of the UK;
Otherwise, when you target London, by default, the "rest of the world" including the rest of the UK are excluded,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

If you exclude the UK but include London, London will be excluded because it is located in the UK, then your traffic will be restricted.

As you said target only the city you need and it's not necessary to exclude the other cities, Adwords won't show your ads in places unless you explicitly target them.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Richard,

In  principle, you don't need to really exclude some location which you have actually not included. You can exclude something from within a bigger location. For example if I am targeting US and I don't want to show my ads in Texas, New Jersey etc....I can exclude them because those locations are actually part of US.

I am not sure if you are using advanced location options i.e. either by physical location or location of interest. Doing this would refine the traffic coming to your AdWords campaigns. More details are here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Does that help?

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

"Exclude" is used to remove / rule out a location within a bigger location - so it would make sense to exclude London while targeting the rest of the UK;
Otherwise, when you target London, by default, the "rest of the world" including the rest of the UK are excluded,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Yeah also as pankaj said you can have a better control using advanced targeting. For eg if you only need to target people who inside UK instead of people who live outside UK but who search on google uk, you can use advanced targeting and restrict it.

Other than that no such need to exclude all other locations as you mentioned.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Richard M,

the solution to your problem are Advanced location settings (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en)

Just pick the cities or area you want your ad to show in and use instead default the option:

People in your targeted location2014-10-07_10h34_06.png

You can find this option in the campaign settings under the: Location options (advanced)