AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What does top vs other mean for product listing ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've spotted this on my pla campaigns and I've been wondering if people can shed some light on it. I've been working on the assumption that "Top" is search page results, while "other" is Google shopping, but I've got nothing to confirm that. Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What does top vs other mean for product listing ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

You can read about what "Top vs. Other" means from this link, after clicking the expanding text at the bottom of the page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454072?hl=en

However the text makes no reference to product listing ads. This is what they write about it :

• Google search: Top -- Your ad ran above the organic Google search results.
  • Google search: Other -- Any AdWords text ads that don't appear directly above Google search results are categorized as "Google search: Other."

From my experience "Other" can mean any of the search ad slots from 4 to 11, even the search ads that appear on the bottom of the organic results.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
The OP was asking about PLA ads.... I'm not sure about the answer, but the link Adrian gives doesn't cover it.....

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Product listing Ads are a type of campaign targeted "Search only" so the rules from the Search Campaigns apply . A PLA campaign also allows the user to run text ads aimed at the Search engine along with the other PLA configuration.

However from what I have learned the PLA images appear bellow the Top 3 slots of the text ads in the search results, so this would be a reason why the Top Vs. Others report should not show any useful info about how the PLA campaign is performing.

Anyone with a 3rd input on this is welcome, I am eager to learn.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So what does the data refer to? Where is "Top" on a PLA campaign? Is it the search results, the top of Google shopping, above the fold? If it didn't refer to anything, I would have thought that it would be like position, absent from product listing ads altogether.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I can assume that the Top vs Others Segment can refer to how your text ads are performing , if you run text ads in the same campaign as the PLA setup.

To understand better let's define normal text ads as "Objects 1" and "PLA products with images" as "Objects 2" and let's refer only to a google search page ( not a Google shopping page ).

Objects 1 occupy up to 11 spots in a Google search page, they are positioned at most 3 at the top of the page and 8 at the right hand side ( or 7 at RHS and 1 on the bottom of the page).

Objects 2 , occupy 1 row of the page bellow the first 3 "Objects 1".

I cannot provide any educated guess about what that report can mean for a "Google shopping page".

Do you have any text ads in the PLA campaign ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Text ads in a product listing ads campaign wouldn't show. You would have to have them in a separate campaign.

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. I know what "Top vs Other" means for text ads. I'm focused here purely on Product Listing Ads. If it doesn't mean anything for Product Listing Ads, then why even show the data?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I have searched various resources in order to find out an answer to this and I give up . I think this problem is not documented anywhere. Your best solution is to use Google's phone line for free support found here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en