AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What does "Rarely shown due to low quality score" mean?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Some of my keywords are marked "Rarely shown due to low quality score".  When I look at the details, is says "Keyword relevence: Poor"  I'm confused about what this means.  On the surface, it seems pretty self-explanatory, but one of the keywords which says that is my top keyword, both in terms of impressions and clicks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by jackportersmith (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What does "Rarely shown due to low quality score" mean?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Roy.

If your keyword is not related to your ad and the content of the page to which you're trying to send your visitors, you may see that message.

Also, if the keyword is too general, even if it's related to the ad and the landing page, it may also be flagged as poor, because relevant for many things actually means relevant for none of them.

One recent example was the keyword 'paint' for a website selling wall paints. If you google "paint definition", you'll see the many meanings it may have. This is a classic example of a keyword which may be relevant for a human, but with multiple meanings for Google. In such cases, more detail is necessary. The former poster cited "burnt sienna paint". Now that's a lot closer to the target. That cannot mean make-up, and also cannot mean the piebald horse. 

Can you tell us which keyword it is and what is the ad and the website? I mean, would you care to disclose them, so we can make a better judgement?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Colin,

I have the same problem with dozens of ads. Example: We are the number 1 reseller of "Dialogic" equipment in the world.

"Dialogic" is a brand name. Our site is VERY centric to their group of products and yet even thought the word is contained in both and ad itself and the keyword(s)(in their various forms), we are rating 2/10. Even in looking at them, it saya that the landing page experience is above average even though the "relevence" is below average...

Keyword Status Max. CPC Impr. Clicks CTR Avg. CPC Cost Avg. Pos. Qual. score Conv. (1-per-click) 

[Dialogic]

Rarely shown due to low quality score

$6.00

325 5 1.54% $3.31 $16.57 1.8 2/10 0  

+Dialogic

$6.00

41 2 4.88% $9.40 $18.79 1.8 2/10 0  

+dialogic com

$6.00

14 1 7.14% $0.34 $0.34 1.8 2/10 0  

Dialogic reseller

Eligible

$6.00

2 0 0.00% $0.00 $0.00 3 5/10 0  

dialogic resellers

Low search volume

$6.00

1 0 0.00% $0.00 $0.00 3 5/10 0  

Dialogic Hardware

Eligible

$6.00

22 0 0.00% $0.00 $0.00 2.3 3/10 0

This makes no sense to me.

HELP!

Andrew Palenscar
True Data Technology.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Andrew.

I'm currently on the move, mobile only. In such situations could you please try exact matches first?

Going broad on terms which may have multiple meanings may not be the best way to go.

Start with [dialogic] and 2-3 more, put them in the ad copy and see what happens.

Ill check the thread again in about 12-15 hours.

Keep us posted.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.