AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

What caused our temporary Quality Score decrease?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We have seen a significant dip in Quality Score over the weekend/start of this week.

What, if any of these, could have contributed to the dropping of QS? Does pausing the whole account have a big affect?

1a. The site went down for around 3 hours late at night last Weds/Thurs

1b. The entire AdWords account was paused for 9 hours overnight

2. Some of our tracking links became corrupted, as I understand it as a result of auto-tagging becoming switched on. As I understand it, ads still displayed during this period.

3. For around 24hours one third of traffic was faced with a “site security certificate failure” and warning that the site was not secure during the final stages of the checkout.

-              Out of these visitors, several still completed orders

We now believe the QS to have been recovered.

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What caused our temporary Quality Score decrease?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ducked T,

1a. The site went down for around 3 hours late at night last Weds/Thurs.
If the site was down when the AdBot attempted to crawl your site, AdGroups or campaigns with that domain/destination URL would be suspended. It should not affect your QS, but it can.

This should not affect the QS, but it could.

2. Some of our tracking links became corrupted, as I understand it as a result of auto-tagging becoming switched on. As I understand it, ads still displayed during this period.
Same as 1a. If the site was returning a 404 Page not found, the AdGroup or campaign would be suspended.

3. For around 24hours one third of traffic was faced with a “site security certificate failure” and warning that the site was not secure during the final stages of the checkout.
No, checkout is too late in the sales funnel, AdBot wouldn't really get far enough to discover the certificate problem. How is that one third of the traffic saw this message and 2/3 did not? Was this a certificate configuration problem?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello; 
I think you would be interested in this discussion;

Is 5/10 the new average Quality Score?
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Is-5-10-the-new-average-Quality-Score/td-p/2...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ducked T,

1a. The site went down for around 3 hours late at night last Weds/Thurs.
If the site was down when the AdBot attempted to crawl your site, AdGroups or campaigns with that domain/destination URL would be suspended. It should not affect your QS, but it can.

This should not affect the QS, but it could.

Same as 1a. If the site was returning a 404 Page not found, the AdGroup or campaign would be suspended.

No, checkout is too late in the sales funnel, AdBot wouldn't really get far enough to discover the certificate problem. How is that one third of the traffic saw this message and 2/3 did not? Was this a certificate configuration problem?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi there;
I agree with Pete; since QS is recalculated for every auction the keyword takes part in; and is mainly affected by CTR; I don't think those technical issues had any effect on the decrease in QS.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’