AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Website call tracking - multiple occurrences of the same phone number

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm setting up Website Call Tracking for clients. This one client has multiple occurrences of the same phone number on each page.

After installing all code and running a test, I noticed the first occurrence of the number swapped out with the forwarding number. Great! However, the second and third occurrences did not.

This obviously creates a "leaky bucket" in terms of tracking. And from an agency perspective,  incomplete tracking is not much better than no tracking. If you consider that 30% of call might come through the second or third number. Then that 30% can not be reported or attributed to the campaign. And thus gives an inaccurate picture of ROI. Which in tern can lead to losing the client.

Second to this, I have other clients who have multiple locations. I would need all location phone numbers tracked in order to use this feature.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to dynamically swap multiple occurrences of the same number on the page?

2) Is it possible to track multiple locations with separate destination phone numbers?

Thanks,

Jake

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake M
September 2015

Re: Website call tracking - multiple occurrences of the same phone num

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jake,

Tracking phone calls to a number on the website happens when Google Forwarding number replaces the original phone number in the header, for traffic from AdWords. In this case, as you have multiple occurrences of the number, it wouldn't be possible to replace all of them using the Website call tracking code. Instead I'd suggest having the number just once, in a very prominent position.

Speaking of different destinations and phone numbers, I'd suggest having separate landing page with a separate tracking code for each of the locations, as they would have different phone numbers.

Feel free to post your questions.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake M
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jake,

Tracking phone calls to a number on the website happens when Google Forwarding number replaces the original phone number in the header, for traffic from AdWords. In this case, as you have multiple occurrences of the number, it wouldn't be possible to replace all of them using the Website call tracking code. Instead I'd suggest having the number just once, in a very prominent position.

Speaking of different destinations and phone numbers, I'd suggest having separate landing page with a separate tracking code for each of the locations, as they would have different phone numbers.

Feel free to post your questions.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Sumanth,

Thank for your reply. Sadly I'll have to reserve Google Website Call Tracking to the few instances that meet the criteria and enable total call tracking. For all others I will continue using a third party.

Your suggestion for separate landing pages would only be appropriate for geo targeted keywords. And even then it may not be appropriate since this one client has 3 locations within 5km radius. So potentially all locations could be a viable option to each prospect.

I'll be keen to see this feature developed to accommodate a broader range of businesses needs.

Thanks,

Jake