AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Way to name a text ad?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

I have a need to test similar ad copy across different, non-competing accounts.  I'm loking for a way to name these similar ads.

For example, within my MCC:

Acct 1 has an ad with the headline: Red Widgets in CA

Acct 2 has an ad with the headline: Red Widgets in NY

I need a way to name each one of these ads "RedWidgetsInState".

That way, I can compare the ads within Excel using filters.  What's the best way to do this?  

I've thought about using labels, but we'd end up with thousands of different labels. I also thought about using AdWords Editor with the "ad name" field, but I'm thinking that field is limited to display ads? I've also thought about adding a variable to the destination url to filter by, which would work, but doesn't sound ideal. Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Way to name a text ad?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hello cotton9 

u can use An advanced AdWords feature that dynamically updates your ad text to include one of your keywords that matches a customer's search terms.

• To use this feature in your ads, you insert a special piece of code into your ad text. Then, when a customer uses one of your keywords in their search, AdWords automatically replaces the code with the keyword that triggered your ad.
  • This feature allows you to have one ad that appears differently to customers depending on their search terms, making your ads appear more relevant and useful.

visit for more info http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454041

and hope ur problem is solved noe 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks umang,

I'm very familiar with dynamic keyword insertion. Unfortunately, although it would help with the simplifid example I gave, it doesn't help me with the more complex, real-world ads we're using.

I still need a way to name an ad.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi cotton9, I don't think there's any way to do what you want, although you can (as I guess you'll know) simply copy and paste in Editor, or copy to another group within the interface.

I suspect there may be technical issues around the idea.  No Ad is ever actually edited - every Ad is born anew as it were and has a unique id.  If you edit just one letter, although it appears you've simply edited an Ad, what you've actually done is delete the old one and create a new one with a new ID.  Although I guess you should be able to link this new Ad to an existing name, it might need greater changes to the db structure Google use than are possible or desirable from a feature request point of view.

As a matter of interest, I assume when you said you had multiple accounts that you either meant campaigns or that you had more than one client under an MCC.  As I'm sure you know, running multiple accounts as one single legal body is a serious breach of Adwords policies.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Cobnut,

It looks like using our own ID variable within the destination URL might be the way to go.  I was hoping there was a solution I was missing.

And to address your "matter of interest", these are accounts we manage for different entities under an agency MCC.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Depending on the structure and existing text copy in your Ads, you may be able to use Scripting to pull out the text of certain types.  For example, if your "Red Widget in State" type Ads all included the word "red" and no other Ads (within your chosen scope) did, you could script to pull all the data for Ads containing the word "red".

As you suggest, you could also use bespoke destination URLs as identifiers (not necessarily going to different pages) and then use Scripting to pull data from these once identified.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits