1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Warning for "no keywords" in a group is no more available in latest version of Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I just updated Editor to the latest version and noticed a very annoying change to it. Editor used to show a warning when there is not active keyword in a group, which means ads won't be displayed, so it makes it easy to fix the problem. Now in the new version of Editor there is no such a warning, and in adwords, even though it shows such a warining, but it only suggests to add a KW to the groups that need it, while most of the time I actually need to delete the group that has no KW on it.

Can you advice about that?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Warning for "no keywords" in a group is no more available in latest version of Editor

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Nothing changed in this regard. Editor still checks for this problem.

What you may be observing is this: Editor doesn't check ad groups that are freshly downloaded and haven't been touched since ("touched" meaning, the ad group or something under it have been edited). It's always been this way, you are probably just noticing it because you have just upgraded and re-downloaded your account.

To force all these warnings to show, you could touch every ad group. Go to Ad Groups view, select all (Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A). Make some edit in the editing pane at the bottom (doesn't really matter which - e.g set Max CPC to 12345). Those yellow warnings should show up at this point, now that ad groups have been touched. Finally, revert edits (Edit > Revert or Ctrl+Shift+R) - the "fake" edit will be removed, but the warnings will remain.

Do not use Undo in this last step (Edit > Undo or the back-arrow button at the top right). It would bring the account back to the exact state it was before the edit - that is, no "fake" edit, but no warnings either.

Re: Warning for

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Actually what I have noticed in the latest
version of adwords editor is a new section called "Custom Rules" that
displays the list of what is defined as Warnings that are managed by Editor.
First, I have tried what you suggested but it didn't work, and also, in
this list of "Custom Rules", there is no one that is about "No Keyword in
the Ad Group". I saw that the user can add a customer rule, so I tried
myself but couldn't manage to find a way to create a rule that will
identify a group where there is no KWs.

Best Regards

--
Hajer OUALHA

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Custom rules are an addition to, not a replacement for, "traditional" Editor errors and warnings. If you look closely, the icon they produce is slightly different: hollow yellow triangle for custom rules vs the solid triangle for "traditional" warnings. The rules are designed to help advertisers follow what Google considers to be best practices - easy ways to improve performance of one's account.

The warning in question - "ad group has no active criteria" - as well as related warnings ("ad group has no active ads", "campaign has no active ad groups") are currently implemented as "traditional" warnings, same as in prior versions. They may possibly be re-implemented as custom rules some time in the future, but not at this time.

It's not currently possible for a user to define a rule for "ad groups with no keywords". We are working on making it possible in future releases.

The procedure I described for triggering "no active criteria" warning works for me. I'm not sure what you might be doing differently.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I've actually got the exactly same problem as Hajer. I tried to do as what you instructed, however, it didn't work. I'm looking for the ad groups without keywords and those yellow warnings are not helpful for me. Would you please advise me?

Thanks

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

"Ad group has no active criteria" waning was in fact removed in Editor 12.1. It'll be coming back in the next release, in a slightly modified form. This is an unfortunate circumstance, brought about by events outside of our control. I know this warning is valuable for many users; I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

In case you are curious, this is what happened. Recently, for display and video campaigns, a change was made whereby ad groups that don't have any targeting criteria would run unrestricted on the whole network; while previously they didn't run at all. See

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882

and in particular the notice in the yellow box.

Editor had a single warning for ad groups in all kinds of campaigns - search, shopping, display and video. That warning said, essentially: if the ad group doesn't have any targeting criteria, it won't serve. With the aforementioned change, that message would no longer be true for display and video. And it's rather important for Google to be precise about such things - if the advertiser is led to believe an ad group wouldn't serve, but it serves anyway, and Google charges them money, said advertiser would be understandably upset.

We (Editor engineering team) only learned about this change at the very last moment before the planned release of Editor 12.1. It was impossible to actually re-implement the warning to be correct on such a short notice; the only thing we could do was to pull it entirely.

In the next release, there will be separate warnings for search and shopping, and possibly for display and video (it's still debated whether they need any warning, seeing as not having any targeting criteria is now a normal and expected use case), with carefully worded messages that accurately reflect reality (as I said, it's important for Google to be precise where money is involved).

Meanwhile, if you really want this warning back, the only option I could suggest is to downgrade to Editor 12.0 (and remember that the warning there is now completely wrong for display and video campaigns, and somewhat inaccurate for others). Uninstall the current version, then install the older one from

https://dl.google.com/adwords_editor/12.0.4.0/Google_AdWords_Editor.msi

https://dl.google.com/adwords_editor/12.0.4.0/Google_AdWords_Editor.dmg

(for Windows and Mac, correspondingly).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi and thanks.

I'll give it a go what you suggested and hopefully it works.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again,

I did as what you suggested and downgraded my Editor. However, it didn't help. I think I might need to use an even older version, let's say 11. Something that doesn't have those custom rules.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards,

Mahdi

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

The "ad group has no criteria" warning definitely works in 12.0. You may need to force the warning to show after a fresh download, as I described in my first response from July (second message in this thread).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did force that warning by changing an attribute like Max CPC as you suggested for all of the ad groups, it didn't work. 

Experts in the Topic
AdWordsEng-Igor