AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

WAY over our daily budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We just started using AdWords to advertise our site. We set a $1.60 daily budget -- just to try it out.

Our AdWords account says our total cost for one day of advertising is almost $90.

How is this possible if we have a $1.60 daily budget? Will we get charged $90, even though we set a daily budget of $1.60?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ____
September 2015

Re: WAY over our daily budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Customer Service was extremely helpful. 

Their representative said this happens from time to time with video campaigns. We will not be charged $90, but will be charged 20% over our daily budget for this particular day. However, it will even out by the end of the campaign. I'm told, and have read, that this is common practice.

Thanks for everyone's help!

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello CryptOpinion C,

Any chance that you accidentally set 160$ insted of 1.6$. If you write down 1,60 instead of 1.60 it will warn you you're about to set 160$ budget.

Otherwise there has to be error in account setting. It cannot charge you $90 with $1.6 budget.

Best regards,

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply, Alex.

I definitely set it to $1.60. I double-checked after your suggestion, and it is indeed set to $1.60.

I checked the account settings, and nothing stood out as out of place. There must be some mistake on Google's end.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Call CS - if this is a system error (which I doubt - I am more inclined, like Alex, that you typed 160) - you will be fully reimbursed.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi CryptOpinion,

How long have you been running the Campaign(s)?  What sort of Keywords are you using and what are your targets?  Did you change the budget at all or was it $1.60 from the very first moment it was enabled?

Bear in mind that if you have a very broad target (common broad keywords, targeting the whole of the US, for example), if you enabled the Campaign with a budget higher than $1.60 it's possible to accrue costs in a very short period of time.  For example, if you set an initial budget of $100 and enabled the Campaign, even if it only ran at this budget for a couple of hours before it was changed to $1.60 that could have been long enough to accrue substantial click costs.

What does the Change history show for the Campaign?

Can you see where the costs were actually generated, i.e. against Keywords?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the responses, guys.

The initial daily budget was set to $0.71 spread over 14 days. Then, the daily budget was changed to $1.60 spread over a week or so. The total budget was $10.

The campaign was set to "All languages" and "All countries and territories." From what I can tell, the campaign only ran for a a couple minutes.

We were just trying to give AdWords a shot, and at no point was the daily budget set above $1.60. When we first started the campaign, the expected total impressions was about 4,000. That seemed reasonable for what we were spending.

Given AdWords said the total impressions would be about 4,000, and that the daily budget was never set above $1.60, it's a bit disconcerting that we were charged so much.

Maybe the change from $0.71 to $1.60 sparked an error of some sort. I sent a message to CS, and hopefully they can clarify what happened.

[ Edited ]

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Crypt,

How were you setting your daily budget? Were you using the column within the interface? If so, that number is for each day (not divisible over a number of days). Was $1.60 the exact number that was placed in the column or was it different with the intention of spreading it over multiple days?

I can see how you could spend a lot of money quickly using the targets of "all countries and regions" but still, you shouldn't have spent $90 in one day on a $1 or even $16 budget. I am surprised a little by your projections, though. To be totally honest, $1.60 will likely get you one click at best - Did you use the keyword planner for projections? I'm just curious as it might help us understand how the campaign was set up and to make sure your expectations are set if you reactivate your account.

I'm surprised that the account would spend at all on a $1.60 budget because generally your ads wouldn't even show out of Google's attempt not to overspend the budget if the budget is similar to the average keyword CPCs.

Like Moshe said, if the budget was $1.60 and the account spent $90, you can be reimbursed. You should contact AdWords through the link in the top righthand side of the toolbar.

If you do reactivate, I would suggest setting up campaigns with narrower targeting to make sure that your money goes further, especially on small budgets.

I hope this helps - Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Amy.

This was our first time using AdWords, so I'm not very saavy. However, I remember a few prompts that we were given asking how much we wanted to spend.

At the beginning, I was asked for my total budget, for which I entered $10. Somewhere on the page, it said we would get roughly 4,000 impressions for that amount (if I remember correctly). We've done advertising elsewhere, and, of course, 4,000 impressions doesn't translate into 4,000 clicks by any means.

Then, I guess Google calculated a number of days for the campaign, and set a daily budget of $0.71. We thought the dates set were spread over too many days, so I shortened the length of the campaign, and changed the daily budget from $0.71 to $1.60.

Thanks for advice regarding narrower targeting. Although they overcharged us, it does give us a glimpse into the sheer power of Google in garnering so many impressions in such a short period time.

If they reimburse us (unless I made some stupid mistake that I'm not aware of), we will certainly continue using AdWords.

Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ____
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Customer Service was extremely helpful. 

Their representative said this happens from time to time with video campaigns. We will not be charged $90, but will be charged 20% over our daily budget for this particular day. However, it will even out by the end of the campaign. I'm told, and have read, that this is common practice.

Thanks for everyone's help!