AdWords
833 members online now
833 members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

View Day & Time along with CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching for a while now but I am unsure how to word what I want to do into a search.

I wish to only show my Ads at the time of day when the cost per click isn't in as high demand.

Is there a report I can do on this? I am having problems trying to find out how to do this.

Many thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris F
September 2015

RE: Segmenting Your Campaign and Adgroup Data by Hour of Day

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Chris,

Cool question!  For further research, I would word your search along the lines of, "segmenting adwords data by hour of day" or "optimizing AdWords bids by time of day".  There are a lot of good articles out there on this kind of optimization effort, but the AdWords Community is a great place for such questions.

You can figure this out at the campaign and adgroup level using data that's available to you in AdWords, but coming up with accurate estimates of Avg. CPC at different times of day will require a good bit of data.  If you have enough data available to identify some trends, here's how you should go about it:

Segmenting your Campaign and Adgroup Data by Hour of Day

• In Adwords, navigate to the "Campaigns" tab
  • To view data at the campaign level, select "All online campaigns"
  • To view data at the adgroup level, select a single campaign from the sidebar
  • On the "Segment" dropdown, choose Time and then Hour of Day

This will segment your data according to the hours of the day.  In this report, you will be able to compare the various performance metrics (including Avg. CPC) of your campaigns and adgroups according to the hours of the day (1-24) during which you have accumulated historical performance data.

Strategic, Testing and Optimization Recommendations:

In order to make sure that you get the best results, make sure that you consider other important metrics such as impression, clicks, CTR, impression share, ect, ect, as you analyze the data and form hypotheses about how you can optimize your performance.  Always test before you make big changes to your account.  Keep your current campaigns/adgroups to serve as controls in your experimentation and create some new campaigns/adgroups for testing which are identical to your current ones. Set your test up with a custom ad schedule or custom bid adjustments according to your hypotheses and compare the performance of your control groups with your test groups before fully altering your strategy.  Before you transition to a strategy that targets more specific times of day, keep in mind that you will only be collecting performance data for the times of day that you target.  This may make it more difficult to make similar strategic adjustments in the future.  If you choose to go ahead with it, I would recommend that you do not directly alter your current campaigns, as it will corrupt or erase the valuable data that you have purchased and accumulated.  Instead, pause them for preservation and reference in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Setting up an experiment can be challenging.  Be sure to check out the additional documentation about campaign experiments.

Good Luck!

Joe

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris F
September 2015

RE: Segmenting Your Campaign and Adgroup Data by Hour of Day

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Chris,

Cool question!  For further research, I would word your search along the lines of, "segmenting adwords data by hour of day" or "optimizing AdWords bids by time of day".  There are a lot of good articles out there on this kind of optimization effort, but the AdWords Community is a great place for such questions.

You can figure this out at the campaign and adgroup level using data that's available to you in AdWords, but coming up with accurate estimates of Avg. CPC at different times of day will require a good bit of data.  If you have enough data available to identify some trends, here's how you should go about it:

Segmenting your Campaign and Adgroup Data by Hour of Day

• In Adwords, navigate to the "Campaigns" tab
  • To view data at the campaign level, select "All online campaigns"
  • To view data at the adgroup level, select a single campaign from the sidebar
  • On the "Segment" dropdown, choose Time and then Hour of Day

This will segment your data according to the hours of the day.  In this report, you will be able to compare the various performance metrics (including Avg. CPC) of your campaigns and adgroups according to the hours of the day (1-24) during which you have accumulated historical performance data.

Strategic, Testing and Optimization Recommendations:

In order to make sure that you get the best results, make sure that you consider other important metrics such as impression, clicks, CTR, impression share, ect, ect, as you analyze the data and form hypotheses about how you can optimize your performance.  Always test before you make big changes to your account.  Keep your current campaigns/adgroups to serve as controls in your experimentation and create some new campaigns/adgroups for testing which are identical to your current ones. Set your test up with a custom ad schedule or custom bid adjustments according to your hypotheses and compare the performance of your control groups with your test groups before fully altering your strategy.  Before you transition to a strategy that targets more specific times of day, keep in mind that you will only be collecting performance data for the times of day that you target.  This may make it more difficult to make similar strategic adjustments in the future.  If you choose to go ahead with it, I would recommend that you do not directly alter your current campaigns, as it will corrupt or erase the valuable data that you have purchased and accumulated.  Instead, pause them for preservation and reference in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Setting up an experiment can be challenging.  Be sure to check out the additional documentation about campaign experiments.

Good Luck!

Joe

Re: RE: Segmenting Your Campaign and Adgroup Data by Hour of Day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much!