AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Video length on landing page

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are in the process of designing a new campaign for our web agency (we develop really advanced websites and web marketing products), and we've installed a new video filming studio in our offices, which allows us to create fantastic videos.

Since our services very often require demonstration and explanation why the product / platform / methodology to develop websites and marketing products is better -- it could lead that our "promotion videos" that we'd like to include in the top fold of our landing pages are 5-10-15-20 minutes long.

My questions are:

1. Based on your experiences using or seeing "whiteboard wall" style videos (speaker is on a white background) on landing page, do you think a landing page with a video that's 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes long can perform well in terms of leading towards a conversion? The tone of the video would be friendly, descriptive, influential and a bit "sales" oriented -- but overall with a positive and fun tone.

2. If you had to pick the perfect length, what would it be?

3. I plan on split testing between autoplay enabled and autoplay disabled -- which one do you predict will convert better?

4. I plan on split testing between a page with a video and some little content vs. a page with a video and a lot of descriptive content to enhance QS. Which one do you predict will convert better?

5. What are your general thoughts on this strategy?

The offer will be something like "Get our free starter kit", which will pretty much give away the science of why the products we will develop will perform for the client.

Cheers,

Michal

Re: Video length on landing page

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Michal,

Really nice question. And the best answer is to simply test it all. especially with regards to the video+ little content and the video + a lot of content and the auto play vs non (usually non wins but not always).

With regards to the video, you can test all 4, but I can tell you from experience that the 5 minute video will perform the best at least 95% of the time. You may be the 5% that it doesn't but then everyone believes they are that 5%.

In essence the ideal informative video length is a lot shorter than what you have, 60-120 secs should be your target range. Your shortest video is a fair amount longer than that. The problem in most cases is the short attention span of your users. you have brought them to your landing page through a 95 character advert, and in most cases have about 6 secs to convince them they have arrived at the right place.

If you headline, sub heading, layout and easily identifiable information is ale to convince them to stay then you are on the right track. The problem is, no matter how good your video is, the smallest fraction of users will watch 20 mins of video unless they are already sold on your product.

I would make a quick 1/2/3 min explainer video for your landing page, with a below the fold option to view a longer version for those users that are actually very interested or have been sold on your product and want to know more.

A 20 min video on your landing page is going to lose more clients than it will gain.

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clynton,

Thanks for the great reply. I do agree that all versions could be split tested.

Based on my question, what do you think would be the ideal sequence of testing variables? Should I start with the video length, then move onto the autoplay vs. non autoplay -- and then to the video + lots / little content? Or should I do a multivariate test and run these all at once? I mean if I run these all at once, we're looking at like a fairly large exponential amount of landing pages that have to be created, and if the CTR volume is low based on the niche nature of the campaign, then it would take decades to get statistically significant results Smiley Happy

Also, what are your thoughts on this style campaign length: http://getaltitude.com/special-offers/8q0vg8m6hn/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=KD... ... I mean Eben Pagan claims to always be selling sooo much of his content via his amazing marketing tactics, and it seems that every second promo video I see of him, it's in the 10+ min ranges.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michal,

As I said earlier, the shorter video is not always the best, there are situations in which a longer video works best, but be careful, everyone assumes they are the exception, so test it. As for the claim that he is always selling so much of his stuff, well that is a marketing tactic in itself. He is creating his own buzz and desirability. Take it with a large pinch of salt.

With the testing. The answer comes down to traffic. It all depends on how much traffic you have. A multivariate test with these many elements is a good line to take but you need a ton of traffic to be significant. The A/B testing requires a lot less traffic but is more time consuming in that you are only testing one element at a time. If you are getting thousands of users preferably a day, but a good few thousand a week could suffice too then go multivariate, otherwise A/B.

I would also start with a best practice, so shorter video, auto play disabled and then test content first. After which test auto play then video length. Just a suggestion, not a hard fast rule. Reasoning for this is content is a fundamental part of a landing page in most cases, but given the video it is less necessary. You do, however, also need to see of the video is desirable for your target audiences. Perhaps they prefer the content. So if you find the more content works better, then a shorter more succinct video will probably work better. If the less content works better then chances are a longer video is going to be a better option, as well as auto play as that immediately alerts the user to the fact that the video is the focus of this page. All the elements are tied together, but knowing which version of content works better will guide you the best with further testing.

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Gotchya, it seems like it is a matter of testing all variables and trying to come up with the most statistically significant results.

What worries me with testing is that due to the nature of the service sold (video animation development service), which only gets roughly 3,600 searches monthly and averages $2.98 CPC based on the forecasting tool for keyword planner, I'm worried that I may have to use verbiage in the ad copy to defer unwanted clicks. The value of the product sold is between $4k - 12k ... and knowing that I may have to go on the "low volume" route to play it safe, I may not be able to get my data quickly enough via A/B (forget about multivariate at that point -- that'll take decades to get statistically significant results).

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Given the low low traffic there is a third route that you can take...

Do an in depth competitor analysis. Those that are successfully performing within the scope of paid media for your vertical are probably constantly testing and have done a lot of testing themselves.

They may have a flawed foundation though, and/or the competition may just not be very good, so it is a bit of a risk.

But in essence if you get 5 - 10 of the top competitors in the field and see what they are doing, what seems to be the most popular, you can use that as your foundation.

But then the testing needs to be in earnest as you are starting from an unfamiliar foundation that you have not tested yourself.

The one advantage to this system is that it gives you a place to start that puts you on an equal footing with most of the competition. You will have no edge, but at least you are not starting behind.

But again there are dangers here, and personally I prefer to assume the competitors are not doing it right (in most cases) and this has treated me well. But there have been one or 2 cases, such as a similar low volume situation that did not allow for quick turn around times on test and this is how I approached the situation.

The campaign looks completely different now, but I did not start on the back foot and take months to get to a satisfactory level. I started out knowing that I am at least equal to the competition, as good or bad as they are.

Let me know your thoughts.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I like that idea as well. What's a good / affordable competitor analysis tool you've personally used?

I would definitely be open to the idea of using a competitor's strategy if I have these metrics:

• How long has he been running the campaign for.
• How is it performing in terms of CTR, CPC and volume.

Do the competitor analysis tools provide such data? If yes, then I think I could come up with ideas to find solutions to beat the competitors. Because at the minimum I'll have like you said "something similar to him" and I'll also have evidence that it "may" be converting for him. I doubt that he'd be running a campaign and losing all of his margins, that would defeat the purpose of running a business.

I'm also in the same boat as you in believing that competitors in most cases are not doing it right. I think that comes with my experience in a specific field, and ego behind the thought that "something better has to be possible".

I'm also somewhat sold on the idea that having a stunning looking landing page + explosive video that's friendly, shows a face to the company (I'll most likely be the face, which may create trust as the CEO is directly speaking to the visitor), and a video that's designed to persuade with a great script + good story / value ratios is a winning formulae for landing pages. Although I haven't tested it, I come from a sales background for years working for Hewlett Packard and Apple corporate, and having to speak to people daily I've developed a natural and friendly way to convey messages. Transpose that to a web based form, and you've got a winner (in my eyes) -- but heck who knows, you seem to add good insights regarding the fact that sometimes people don't want videos, and prefer content instead!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michal,

Most competitor tools are a subscription service tool but they do all offer a free version. This will usually tell you how much they spend and a sample of their keywords, amongst other things (such as CPC, CTR etc) The more detailed things are only on the paid version though.

You can do a Google search and find a ton out there, but a few that come to mind are spyfu, keywordspy, alexa and ispionage.

You might also just manually find your competitors and analyse their landing pages, I mean that is the focus here, what they are doing on their landing pages. The keyword competitor tools will just help tell you how successful their campaigns are and how ling they have been using paid media. So perhaps both Smiley Tongue.

With regards to the content insight, it does all depend but the tendency is definitely towards short and sweet what ever approach you take. People are constantly bombarded with adverts, sales pitches and salesman. Their time is valuable to them and they tend to have little time for an in depth sales pitch. This. of course does not apply to all verticals, for example I am not going to book my surgery at a hospital with a 1 min video that me laugh. That needs more research and I will take the time to do it. You know your vertical best, and that coupled with competitor research will give you a good starting point.

But remember, the internet is a different sales arena when compared to face to face or cold calling or any other traditional area. People tend to be dis-interested/brief/abrupt... you get the idea. On the internet, they are in complete control, so you have a short window to convince them.

Good Luck

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Clynton - great insights again. I'm very curious to see how this will roll out. I'll add you on Linkedin to stay connected -- I feel like I owe you some insights on best practices for web development Smiley Happy

We've developed a propriety Python/Django blog + platform / methodology which allows us to develop goal focused products very effectively. We've also tied in some nifty Google Analytics experiments api into our methods, so we get to work directly in the code + test -- super efficient. We spend quite some time consulting agencies on best practices for growth oriented product development, so feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a good day.

Thanks,

Michal

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could be of help! And will be sure to drop you a message if the need arises. Let me know how it all goes, would be interested to see the results!