AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Value tracking for sitelink...how and where?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, I read that I could use Value Tracking for site links. I basically wanted to understand how that would work (i.e. the other exact steps to do this) as I want to track which keyword trigger preceded the clicking of the sitelink. I'm not understanding how I can do that, such as specific parameters to use or where to put them (URL options advanced?)
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dianne D
November 2016

Re: Value tracking for sitelink...how and where?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Dianne DAm glad to assist you . Let me shed more light !

How can I measure sitelink performance? You can’t. No, that’s not true — at least, not entirely true. This article explains how to perform that research and what you can learn from it.

AdWords Ad Extensions Tab

In a campaign, navigate to the (1) ad extensions tab and select (2) sitelinks extensions. It should look like the image below.

sitelinks-segmenting-how-to1-e1425417031210.png

AdWords Sitelink Segmentation

This table can be confusing because performance metrics are not exclusive to the sitelink. Click-through rate (CTR) in one row, for example, only reflects CTR for ads where that sitelink appeared. But ads can display several sitelinks at one time so keep in mind that it is correlation > causation.

Tip: Like all marketing analysis, don’t make decisions based on small sample sizes. Let sitelinks gather several hundred impressions or several dozen clicks before feeling any confidence with the data.

Let me know if it helps .. Smiley Wink

sitelinks-measurement-how-to1-e1425417074152.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dianne D
November 2016

Re: Value tracking for sitelink...how and where?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Dianne DAm glad to assist you . Let me shed more light !

How can I measure sitelink performance? You can’t. No, that’s not true — at least, not entirely true. This article explains how to perform that research and what you can learn from it.

AdWords Ad Extensions Tab

In a campaign, navigate to the (1) ad extensions tab and select (2) sitelinks extensions. It should look like the image below.

sitelinks-segmenting-how-to1-e1425417031210.png

AdWords Sitelink Segmentation

This table can be confusing because performance metrics are not exclusive to the sitelink. Click-through rate (CTR) in one row, for example, only reflects CTR for ads where that sitelink appeared. But ads can display several sitelinks at one time so keep in mind that it is correlation > causation.

Tip: Like all marketing analysis, don’t make decisions based on small sample sizes. Let sitelinks gather several hundred impressions or several dozen clicks before feeling any confidence with the data.

Let me know if it helps .. Smiley Wink

sitelinks-measurement-how-to1-e1425417074152.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Alamu A Thanks for the article. I did decide to take a chance and add URL parameters to the sitelinks just to see what would happen when I learned how to check them out and interpret that data. I specially named them so I'm hopeful I should be able to distinguish those results and get better insight.  You are right that I need to gather more impressions first. I definitely plan to make this a long term experiment that I can tweak as I learn more.  Thank you for replying

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Am Glad to Read from you . Smiley Wink Cheers !