AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Using parameters (Query string)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi to everyone,

i've a doubt, i was looking into my account and i found out that my quality score, for the majority of the keywords, is low ( it is usually between 3 and 6).

I offer a service where it's good to use localized keywords (for example "myService in CityName"), but the landing page i link to, is always the same.

The conversions are good (more then 15%) and the CTR is on average i think ( more then 1%).

Also if i've a good conversion rate and an average ctr, my quality score is low (usually i see a problem on ads relevance).

So i thought that a good idea could be to insert a parameter in the destination url (by query string, so something like ?parameter=cityname) and then, in the landing page, use that parameter to customize the page for that city or area.

Do you think i can use that or do you think that google would not like it?

Do you have any other suggestion? (create a page for each city would be huge)

Thank you very much for you collaboration.

Best,

Alessandro

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Using parameters (Query string)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Alessandro,

Your QS is probably due to a low CTR as compared to your competition. You have a good conversoin rate at 15%. I don't know that I'd want to fool with that. A better approach, IMO, is to work on your CTR. The low ad relevance means the combination of your keyword and the ad produced a CTR that is lower than average compared to competitors eligible to show for the same keyword.

How to improve CTR? One thing you might consider is creating more, smaller, tightly focused ad groups, or even split into several campaigns, each targeting one and only one market where you do business. Then include something describing your location (relative to the user's query and/or location) in the ad.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alessandro,

Also if i've a good conversion rate and an average ctr, my quality score is low (usually i see a problem on ads relevance).

If it's an issue with ad relevance, that means the combination of your keywords and ad copies is not working enough in the eyes of Google. That's my understanding.

You have to make sure that the keywords you are bidding in and the ad copies you are using within a single ad group should correlate to each other so that the ad relevancy increases. One option could be to include the most popular keyword out of the ad group in your ad title. Read more about how to create successful ads in this article.

Now coming to the landing page part, when you hover mouse over the speech bubble of your keyword and if the landing page experience is average or above average, then you shouldn't be worried about this.

Honestly I haven't tried inputting the dynamic query to change the landing page. I think you are talking about the dynamic page here which would change according to the user query. As per my understanding, the landing page experience could be either way around. I would love to see comments from other community members on this as well.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Alessandro,

Your QS is probably due to a low CTR as compared to your competition. You have a good conversoin rate at 15%. I don't know that I'd want to fool with that. A better approach, IMO, is to work on your CTR. The low ad relevance means the combination of your keyword and the ad produced a CTR that is lower than average compared to competitors eligible to show for the same keyword.

How to improve CTR? One thing you might consider is creating more, smaller, tightly focused ad groups, or even split into several campaigns, each targeting one and only one market where you do business. Then include something describing your location (relative to the user's query and/or location) in the ad.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords