AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Using brackets in ads - Confusion

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, I'm slightly confused as to the use of brackets - {these ones} in ads. Lets say I create an ad on selling chocolate bars, and my ad title is 'Best {KeyWord:Chocolate Bars}', what does this mean? How about if I changed it to 'Best {KeyWord:Bars}'? My understanding was that when the word in the brackets is searched it then triggers it, so if someone typed cheap chocolate bars or big chocolate bars the Ad title would then read 'Best Cheap Chocolate Bars' or 'Best Big Chocolate Bars'. Is this correct?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using brackets in ads - Confusion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Phil,
I wrote an article using the EXACT keywords (related?) that you used in your example. It explains everything.
http://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/dynamic-keyword-insertion-the-ultimate-guide/

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That is a coincidence Dave!

Thanks for the reply again, I'm still a bit confused as to how this bit works - 

As you can see, the above list of keywords are all somewhat related. Rather than splitting up all the keywords into smaller adgroups, you can write a SINGLE AD for them all and have the search engine place your keywords into your ad! Here is how the ad should be created:

Dynamic Keyword Insertion-structure

Once you set this ad live, the search engine will automatically replace {KeyWordSmiley Surprisednline Newsagents} in the ad with whatever keyword from your list that was searched for. Using the above list of search terms, The ads will look like this:

How do the words chocolate, stinger bars, lollypops and brown bread replace 'Online Newsagents'? Is Online Newsagents the Ad Group? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Phil,

not quite... it's not the word in the brackets that has to be searched, but rather any of the keywords in the ad group.... any of those can be substituted for the word in the brackets - so if one of your keywords is "candy twists" - which doesn't contain the word bars - then the headline would read - Best Candy Twists.

It is worth noting that it is the keyword that triggered the ad and not the search term that is inserted - so if you have +chocolate bars as, for example, a modified broad match keyword and someone searches for a chocolate leather chair - your ad could appear - but with Best Chocolate Bars as the headline....

DKI is tricky and has led to some of the more amusing ads on AdWords...

http://www.advia.com.au/adwords/24-best-adwords-fails

so be careful what you wish for!

DKI must be tight - very tight - and sometimes it can be simpler to take some of your core keywords and simply segment them into ad groups....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
No, "Online Newsagents" is the fallback/default. If none of the other keywords match, it will use that instead.

Make sense?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Have to agree with Steve here, we use DKI less and less now considering how tight our adgroups go. It's usually better, if you have the resources, to create an ad for each keyword. We see DKI as more of a "last chance" option and I wouldn't be bringing it into a new account or campaign.

Now, there's other reasons you'd use the curly brackets aside from DKI, especially if you're using PLAs (Which I guess you are from your other thread) but these are a little more complicated and don't do what DKI does.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the replies guys. By the looks of it I managed to fluke a good ad despite not knowing exactly what it was doing. Some of those 'fails' in the compilation are hilarious! 

Dave - by create an ad for each keyword, do you mean an ad group for each keyword? Unless there's a way to select which keywords you want to show for each ad in the ad group?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Just by way of clarification.... for DKI to work at all the keywords HAVE to match otherwise the ad wouldn't trigger, so the fall back is used if the keyword (plus any words outside the brackets - such as Best in this case) takes the headline over the 25 character limit....

This is another limitation - and I, like Dave, am using DKI sparingly nowadays - it simply makes more sense to group your keywords as tightly as possible and run ad groups or - if they are important enough - campaigns for each.