AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Using a Google Number in Call Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business phone number is a Google Voice number.

When I set up my call extensions should I select the box that says "Use my own number" or "Use a Google Forwarding number"? I want to have the tracking in place, but I'm wondering what will happen if I check the "Use a Google Forwarding number" box. Will Google just use my existing Google Voice number or will they assign me a Google Forwarding number to send calls to my Google Voice number (which seems silly)? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Using a Google Number in Call Extensions

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Lion,
Welcome to the AdWords Community!
When you use a Google Forwarding number with your Call Extensions, which I recommend, Google will direct the Google Forwarding number to your actual phone number. The benefit of using the Forwarding number is that you'll be able to get analytics on your calls from AdWords (such as: how many calls, what time, how long calls, etc.). When you select to use, they'll assign you a unique Google Forwarding number, not tied to your Google Voice Account. They'll automatically append your Google Forwarding number to your Call Extensions.
How to use Google Forwarding w/ Call Extensions - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
If you check the "Use a Google Forwarding number" box AdWords will route the call to your business phone number. You'll then be able to see detailed reports about calls generated from your ads.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for reaching out. That doesn't really answer my question though. I know what the difference is between using your own number and using a Google forwarding number. That was not what my question was.

My question was simply...

If you already have a Google Voice number, do you still need to use a Google forwarding number to receive call tracking? And if so, will it actually show a different number than my Google Voice number, or will it just display my Google Voice number?

For example, if my Google Voice number is 111-111-1111, and I check the box to use a Google forwarding number, will Google assign me a forwarding number like 222-222-2222 that directs to 111-111-1111, or will they just use 111-111-1111, considering the fact that it is already a Google number.

I ask this because the purpose of using a Google forwarding number is to route your call traffic through Google so it can be tracked. Using a Google Voice number, that call traffic is already going through Google.

Can someone who has actually tried this advise me on which setting I should be using? Thanks! I appreciate it!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Yes. In order to get Google Call Tracking into your AdWords Account youll need to use Google Call Forwarding.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know exactly what you mean and I am wondering the same thing. These answers are not fully comprehending what you're saying. Did you ever get this figured out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I never got it figured out because you're right - none of these answers really addressed my specific question. We have such low call volume anyways (most people fill out the contact form on our website) that I figured it didn't matter too much whether or not we were tracking call conversions so we just used our actual business number in the ads. Ultimately, we felt that having the brand consistency of our local number on all of our content was more important. 

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Adwords won't track and report on your Google Voice number. It uses it's own forwarding numbers randomly generated based on clicking activities from the ads, so each click and the subsequent call is tracked and reported in Adwords.

Think of it this way, how would Adwords know if a call to your Google voice number is from a friend whom you shared that number with, or it actually came from an ads? Remember, the click doesn't record or register anything, it just generates that dynamic number unique to that click, the dynamic number then does the magic of tracking connect time, area code, etc.