AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Using (My Own?) Phone Number in an Adwords Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most of what I'm reading (& not totally understanding) is about how to 'update' or 'upgrade' phone 'extensions'.  But I'm trying to add my own phone number into my ad.  I've gotten it added into the Call Extension list, and I've requested that Google display both my landing page URL and my phone number in my ad.  But when I save the settings & re-check my ad, it only displays the URL - but not the phone number.  How do I do this?  

*Can* I do this?  Or do I have to use a Google phone number?  If so, how do I set that up, and is the $1.00 per call charged to me or my prospective customer?

Oh .. and is the phone number only displayed in the ad when the ads is viewed from a smart phone?

Very confusing - at least for this old (68-year old) 'newbie'.  Smiley Happy

Thnx,

Richard

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using (My Own?) Phone Number in an Adwords Ad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,
Google Ads won't display the phone number with your Ads for every impression. For some impressions, it will show the phone number and for some it won't. Phone number will be displayed in Desktops, Laptops and all mobile devices.

You may want to choose "Phone Number Only" to make your mobile Ads as Click to Call Ads so that your user will be able to call you directly by clicking on it.

About Google Forwarding number, it is free if you have upgraded call extensions (if you create new call extension, make sure you have "Upgraded" option set. Do not use "Not Upgraded"). There is no charge for that. In fact you will be able to track your phone conversions using your Google Forwarding Number.

More info here
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3207165?hl=en&ref_topic=3119124
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en&ref_topic=3119124

Please let us know if you need more help here

Regards,
Balu
www.locsea.com/googleadwordsblog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

A slight correction here to @LathaBalu 's answer;

>>"Google Ads won't display the phone number with your Ads for every impression"

For Call extensions   There is no minimum click requirement to show call extensions, (Policy was updated  along with the change that does not allow phone number in the text.)

So,  if you don't see the number  as a call extension we need to look for the reason; Have you set it properly?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Moshe,
Thanks for pointing it out. I did not explain it properly there. I just had Call Extensions in mind and answered Richard's questions. I just gone thru the second line "But I'm trying to add my own phone number into my ad. "

Richard,
As Moshe said, you can't have your phone number in your Ad Text. You can have it only as Call Extensions.

Regards,
Balu.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the policy for adding phone numbers in Display Builder or Image ads for the GDN ? Because from an earlier talk I understand that the call-extension works in GDN only on smart-phones.