AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Using Automated Rules on Specific Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have an account that I am working on that was performing at its peak in May of 2012. 

When I look at the stat's for that month one thing that is different from now is the Average Position which back then was 3.3 whereas now it has dropped to 4.something.

What I have done is set some automated rules with the aim of keeping the my position in the 3rd position by increasing bids when it is below 3 and decreasing when it above 2.

The only problem with this is I do not necessarily want all my keywords that do achieve good positions to come down, especially high converting keywords. Is there a way for one rule to override another. To basically say that if the keyword converts don't reduce the bid but keep it where it is?

Thanks

Re: Using Automated Rules on Specific Keywords

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You can setup 2 or more automated rules using the + Add another  button, 

to run for the same keyword in order to apply 2 or more conditions with an AND logical connection, which means they all have to be TRUE at the same time.

In the Performance tab, there is no indicator like Conversion rate , that can be applied , only the "clicks" or CTR can come close to what you want. For example if your CTR is less than 10% , you can run the rule that keeps the position up to 2 or 3 for that keyword.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have done some more research and I found this, for rasing bids for converting words, and this can be used also as a "pause if" rule

You can use automated rules to increase bids for keywords that are converting well and at a low cost per conversion, and decrease bids for those that aren't. For example, a weekly rule could raise max CPC bids by 15% for keywords with more than 50 conversions and a cost per conversion under $10 that are triggering ads in positions worse than 3. Note that setting a maximum bid is recommended as a precautionary measure. A second weekly rule could decrease bids by 15% for keywords with a cost per conversion more than $12. Here's how to create the rules:

1. Click All online campaigns in the left panel of your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Keywords tab.
  3. Click the Automate button, and select "Change max CPC bids when..." from the drop-down.
  4. In the "Apply to" section, choose All but deleted keywords in all campaigns.
  5. Choose the Automatic action Raise bid (to boost CPC bids for effective keywords) or Decrease bid (to lower CPC bids for poorly performing keywords).
  6. When raising the bids, set the requirements for Cost / conv (1-per-click) < $10 , Conversions (1-per-click) >=50, and Avg position worse than 3. When lowering bids, set the Cost / conv (1-per-click) > $12, and Conversions (1-per-click) >=50.
  7. In the "Frequency" section, choose Weekly using data from the Last week.
  8. Name and save your rule.

For the second rule to decrease bids, you'd follow the same steps but switch the action to "decrease bid."