AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Using AdWords Editor for more people at the same computer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

we are facing some troubles by trying to use one computer with different user accounts (Win 10), which have installed AdWords Editor.

It seems Windows can remember the correct path where the Editor is installed for each user.

If one person shuts the computer down and the next tries to start it and to start the Editor, there is an error (path couldn't be found).

As we all have non-admin rights on our computers, the Editor gets installed within the user local resources (instead of the "classic" program folder).

Any idea, how to solve this issues?

It's really annoying. Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Martin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using AdWords Editor for more people at the same computer

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Martin,

Yes, this phenomenon is bound to occur if multiple users are using the same PC/Computer using different user logins. Unfortunately, in my experience there is no way to tackle this issue as when the user on the PC changes, so does all the applications/programs installed on that users view/account. I am assuming your PC's are connected on an internal LAN and users are given access to their individual accounts via LAN access.

If you wish to avoid this scenario, one possible way is to install the Editor or any application that will be shared on every users account/view. This way, when the user signs in, he/she has access to their own Editor application on their account (on the same PC).

Hope this makes sense and helps you !

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank,
I guess that's the problem. We can use every computer in our office as the user profiles are synced by our internal LAN.
Nevertheless, every computer stores are local profile if you ever have used a certain computer.

I don't catch your proposed solution completely.
Where should we install the Editor exactly?

Martin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin K
February 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Martin,

So this is a bit technical now that I know you use multiple computers in your office. To make the Editor or any other application to be present on a PC by default irrespective of who logs on to it, you will need that particular application to be present in installation image/ drive image (this is something you will need your IT admin to help you out with). It is a hassle because your PC's are already setup but if your IT head can manage it, well and good.

To make things clearer or simpler (trying my best here as I myself am not great at IT stuff), when you log into any PC, you will see a set of application/programs always present on it, like the Internet Explorer. This is so because IE is present in the Installation Image of the windows/Mac OS that used to setup the PC. If you can get the Editor on this image file, you can ensure it is installed and present on all PC's throughout your office.

I understand this may not be a solution for you but there is no way around this problem. One possible solution is to use dedicated PC's for you and your team and keep the Editor installed on those PC's. This way whenever you login, the editor is there for you to use. I would suggest you go with the Dedicated PC approach as it is the simplest and most efficient way of handling this issue.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While I'm aware that this is almost a year old but I'm currently experiencing the same issue.

I have to install this for marketing users on my business domain, I usually install programs for them as an administrator on the domain and they then have access when they log in themselves. We don't use elevated privileges to install software under individual user accounts to prevent complication and users constantly trying to install stuff then calling us as and when.

Most programs give you an option when installing that specify either:

A) Install just for the current user

OR

B) Install for all users on this computer*

*This being the preferable option here.

This strikes me as a huge oversight for what is a serious tool for small-medium businesses which will more than likely be operating on a Windows domain?