AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

User Location and Geographic Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I do not understand User Location and Geographic Location report. For location targeting I am using "People in my targeted location only" but when I pulled the report i see few impression from outside of my targeted location some time even out my country but these impr do not record any click. Same things happen with the User Location report. 

has anyone experienced same situation? Your help is required guys. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User Location and Geographic Location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Bubble;
Hmm.... Interesting.
Did you check the reporting dates?
Are you using the Geo report in the Adwords UI or in Analytics?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I use adwords data..and it confuses me a lot.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please double check the settings of your advanced Geo targeting?
How many is a few relative to the number of impressions?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@Moshe: I am using Target "People in my targeted location" Exclude "People in my excluded location" but still i don't know why I get impression from outside of my location.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Geo targeting is not perfect; sometimes the user is physically in a different location than  the location of  an IP address assigned by the ISP (used to identify the user location)
The strange is that you are saying the ad was shown outside the country.... So, I am asking whether this was a "random incident"? If this was the case, I would consider it a reporting bug.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Besides the great advice you already received I would recommend reading from the following material :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?rd=1

I think there can be some exceptions which match this scenario :

"  If a mobile device is connected to a Wi-Fi network, we may detect the mobile device's IP address to determine physical location. If the mobile device is connected to a mobile carrier's proxy server, we may use the carrier IP to determine the device's location.  

So if you have mobile traffic enabled, the proxy server of the wi-fi connection could be far away.

Recent locations

We may estimate an approximate physical location or location of interest and serve relevant ads based on a person’s past searches or physical location, if they’ve enabled these features."

My interpretation for this is : if a person traveled to another country and didn't delete their browser cookies, they can get Ads for their past physical location.

"Related cities

When you target a city, we may also show your ad to customers in nearby, closely related cities that normally couldn't be targeted because of low population, insufficient data about the geographic area, or because city-level targeting isn't available"

My interpretation : if you target also cities from a border of the country, Ads could appear to cities from the other neighbouring country, but not too far from the border.

------------

Anyway if the percentage of clicks or impressions from not targeted areas are below 5% I just tend to ignore them. I also get 3-10% invalid clicks , this does not mean I should stop the campaigns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I see impr from "United Arab Emirates", Saudi Arabia, Philippines, Qatar, 2 to 3 impr from all these location, however my campaign is targeted to one specific city in my country. Sometime I don't understand adwords reporting.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Adrian;

>>>"We may estimate an approximate physical location or location of interest and serve relevant ads based on a person’s past searches or physical location, if they’ve enabled these features.

This is valid only in option 1 of advanced  targeting, not  in option 2: (i.e."people in my location only".)

@bubble: another option I can think of is users using proxy servers.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok i'll keep in mind this interpretation , although I do not understand why is the "Recent locations" guidance be only about "locations of interests" when it specifically mentions physical location twice : 

"approximate physical location"   and "a person’s past searches or physical location"