AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Url NOT displayed in Display Ads as indicated when creating ads

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Just before the the change over to the New Community Forums, I had brought up the the subject that Google had removed everyone's(?) Url from their Display Ads (www.example.com).  I had originally found out by calling Google because I thought that there was something wrong with the Display Ads that I had created and HAD THE URL DISPLAYING.

It seems that Google took it upon themselves to change MY ads (and I believe everyone else's ads) without even notifying them.  Surprisingly, there was not much of an outrage as I surely was that they changed my ads without notifying me.

So, now that the "Display Url" is NO LONGER SHOWING when anyone creates a Display Ad, isn't it misleading (to say the least) that the option is still listed when creating a Display Ad?? 

Since MY displayed url was removed from MY ad (that was originally running showing my home page url as I had intended and approved), is it ok to place my url in one of the Product blank lines as I want my home page url to show somewhere? Or is it against policy?

Thanks In Advance,

RPquest

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Url NOT displayed in Display Ads as indicated when creating ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RPquest,

Are you talking about image ads? I'm looking at one of my AdSense pages and the Display URL is showing.

PEte

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

Yes, I'm referring to Adwords Image Ads.  I don't currently use Adsense.

I still find it odd that the entire process of creating an Image Ad in Adwords that it appears to the user that their Url will show when it doesn't. I even saw instructions on how to complete an Image Ad and I couldn't find anywhere that states that it will not show.

If someone locates a statement from Google/Adwords about the URL NO LONGER SHOWING on everyone's Adwords Display Ad, Please post it.  

Thanks!

RPquest

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Bump

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi RPQuest,

Ok, I went to a site I know shows AdSense image ads. You are correct, the display url doesn't show. I also noticed a G+ button added at the bottom of the image, obscuring a portion of the image. The ad I looked at had the web site address at the bottom--the G+ button covered a significant part of the URL. The button is configured as an iFrame over the bottom of the image display space.

I'll see what I can find out about when this changed and request the documentation be changed to reflect this.

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

Thanks for checking into the issue of the URL not showing anymore.

"Ok, I went to a site I know shows AdSense image ads"

I'd just like to mention again that its' Adwords Image Ads NOT Adsense Ads.

"The ad I looked at had the web site address at the bottom--"

Again, I think you were looking at an Adsense Ad Image as the Adwords Image Ads no longer have them.

If you have access to the "old" forums, I brought the issue up when I noticed that MY Image Ads that previously HAD THE URL SHOWING was arbitrarily changed by Google/Adwords WITHOUT notification that they altered MY ads. (Along with EVERYONE ELSE's?) WITHOUT notification or announcement.

Minimumly, they should either allow them to show as the (misleading) instructions to users indicate, AND advise users thru an announcement of some sort that not only they don't show anymore, but that they HAVEN'T BEEN SHOWING AS INDICATED in the (misleading) instructions.  Possibly even an email to any user that has or had Image Ads "altered" without notification or permission.

I'm not quite sure why more users haven't noticed this as I see it as a MAJOR issue to change RUNNING ADS that the users themselves created and were arbitrarily changed without notification.

Thanks for your help in rectifying this issue, and I await some sort of announcement by Google to ALL users.

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi RPquest,

I understand you are talking about AdWords image ads. AdWords image ads show on sites that run AdSense. AdWords is for advertisers, AdSense is the counter part for publishers. I can't say that all Display Network impressions come from sites with AdSense (I just don't know for sure), but AdSense shows only AdWords ads for the Display Network. In AdWords you pay to have your ad shown. In AdSense, the publisher is paid to show that ad.

The web address on the ad I looked at was part of the image, not the text display URL you are talking about. In essence, I am saying I have observed the behavior you describe. I have no idea when this changed or if there was any kind of announcement made. Your post has been escalated by RBall, so I did not want to duplicate that. Hopefully, we'll get an answer form Google on this.

Best,

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks again Pete, very much appreciated.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I would just like to point out that as far as I know, this issue has not been resolved.

I'm aware that it's been elevated by Pete (Thanks), but there still isn't a "solution".

Could someone please remove the green checkmark as resolved or solution?

Thanks In Advance

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi RPQuest,

I thought you marked it as solved. I can't figure out how to change that.

I'll try to see if anything is going on with this.

Pete