AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Upgraded and Enhanced Sitelinks in Editor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It's great to see that the new Editor release has included upgraded sitelinks although there a few things i can't figure out.

The 2 additional description lines used for enhanced sitelinks don't appear to be able to be changed updated or even viewed in Editor. This means i have to do it manually to each campaign.  Due to the nature of the account i am updating them twice a week at least which is difficult across 60 campaigns.  Therefore i only choose the 2 highest traffic campaigns due to the sheer amount of time it would take to change 60 at a time.

In the UI you are able to see the old sitelinks that have been used.  Is there a way to see this in Editor so they can be switched on and off in bulk rather than doing it manually in the UI?

Also would someone be able to clearly explain the difference between platform targeting and device preference for upgraded sitelinks in Editor as they both appear to have similar options in the drop down.

I have read that you can import an ad schedule to a sitelink by either copying it from another campaign or importing it using the Add/update multiple tool.  Any idea what column headers you would use to import this?

Another issue i have with the new Upgraded links is the fact that you cannot change the order.  I know that it's not supposed to matter as Google will select the most appropriate links (based on factors i'm not sure of - relevance seems to be the only answer i can get) although i can be assured that in my case at least the sitelinks appear in the exact same order i post them in each and every time.  Not sure if Google would be looking to add an order column in the future although would be very helpful.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave M
September 2015

Re: Upgraded and Enhanced Sitelinks in Editor

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Description lines are coming in the next release. They were invented too late to make it into this release.

What do you mean by "old sitelinks"? I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Platform Targeting corresponds to "Show this extension on..." setting that appears in the online interface under the list of sitelinks, when in "New/edit campaign sitelink extension" mode. Device preference corresponds do "Device preference" checkbox on "Edit sitelink" dialog, when you edit an individual sitelink. What exactly they do, I'm not really sure - it's outside my area of expertise.

The column heading for ad schedule is called, very creatively, "Ad Schedule". See http://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/54978

I am not exactly sure what the story with the ordering is (the issue has also been raised in other threads). As best I can tell, the ordering is not supposed to matter, and the fact that it matters at the moment is more or less an accident, subject to change at any time. I have asked for clarification; apparently, the exact details are still being worked out. I'll post here if and when I learn more.

In any case, at this time I'm not aware of any plans to introduce an explicit UI for specifying ordering, either in Editor or in the online interface.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave M
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Description lines are coming in the next release. They were invented too late to make it into this release.

What do you mean by "old sitelinks"? I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Platform Targeting corresponds to "Show this extension on..." setting that appears in the online interface under the list of sitelinks, when in "New/edit campaign sitelink extension" mode. Device preference corresponds do "Device preference" checkbox on "Edit sitelink" dialog, when you edit an individual sitelink. What exactly they do, I'm not really sure - it's outside my area of expertise.

The column heading for ad schedule is called, very creatively, "Ad Schedule". See http://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/54978

I am not exactly sure what the story with the ordering is (the issue has also been raised in other threads). As best I can tell, the ordering is not supposed to matter, and the fact that it matters at the moment is more or less an accident, subject to change at any time. I have asked for clarification; apparently, the exact details are still being worked out. I'll post here if and when I learn more.

In any case, at this time I'm not aware of any plans to introduce an explicit UI for specifying ordering, either in Editor or in the online interface.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply. very helpful.

Any idea of the next release date for Editor, although i'm aware we just had one so could be a while.

When i refer to old sitelinks, i mean the enhanced sitelinks that i create in the UI that I will later swap out for others. I can go into the UI and re-implement these if i choose to by using the edit feature. I can select which one i want in my sitelink list by clicking the right hand arrow. Although, these non activated links don't seem to show up in Editor.

Thanks

Dave

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
We do not generally pre-announce release dates, if for no other reason than to avoid embarrassment in case the date slips.

All enhanced sitelinks you've ever created should be listed in the Add Sitelink dialog in Editor. Is this not the case? Perhaps you are missing some that were created recently: run Get Recent Changes to pick them up.