AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Unwanted conversions coming from outside the UK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I'm running several campaigns for my organisation that are specified to only appear in the UK. However, we seem to be getting a large proportion of conversions from Africa and the Middle East (our conversion point is a form fill where they have to specifiy company and telephone number, so it's easy to see that these conversions are coming from overseas).

Obviously this is frustrating as the reason for only targeting the United Kingdom is that we only have the interest/capacity to work with organisations in the UK. All these conversions are effectively worthless and lead me to worry that if a large proportion of converision are from other countries, then so too might be the impressions and clicks.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or know of any extra safe guards I can take to ensure that my budget isn't going to be wasted.

Thanks,

Jack 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jackallen
September 2015

Re: Unwanted conversions coming from outside the UK

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jack, 

One thing you could try to do here would be to make your location settings a little more specific. The default setting is to target users who are physically in your location as well as users who are searching about your location (but could physically be potentailly from outside the UK). However, if you only want to show your ads to users who are physically in your targeted location (ie - the UK) you could try changing your Advanced Location Settings to "Reach people in my targeted location only". This link here will help you change your settings if you want to go ahead with this. 

There might be some other great ideas from the Community here about this as well though! Does anyone else have some tips? 

A.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jackallen
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jack, 

One thing you could try to do here would be to make your location settings a little more specific. The default setting is to target users who are physically in your location as well as users who are searching about your location (but could physically be potentailly from outside the UK). However, if you only want to show your ads to users who are physically in your targeted location (ie - the UK) you could try changing your Advanced Location Settings to "Reach people in my targeted location only". This link here will help you change your settings if you want to go ahead with this. 

There might be some other great ideas from the Community here about this as well though! Does anyone else have some tips? 

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Alys,

Will give it a go and see how it turns out over the next couple of weeks.

If I see a drop in these conversions I'll come back and let you guys know it's worked.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

HeyJackallen,

It might be worth testing a few ads with copy that stats "you only serve UK based companies". This could help deter others outside the UK from clicking.

You could also start to add countries to your 'Exclude' location list. 

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I face the same issue too when I run the campaigns for Singapore. More than 30% of the clicks contributed by countries outside Singapore, mostly Philippines, India and Malaysia. Eventhough I have set "Singapore" as the only target country but Google will still show the ads to anyone perform search queries on www.google.com.sg with relevant keywords.  

I did use location targeting to specify the country + city but it reduced the no. of Impressions, Clicks and even conversions. From my experience, either you accept it or you are willing to pay more to get what you really want Woman Wink

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jack,

Apart from the suggestions mentioned already, I'd look to exclude the countries in question where you don't want to show your ads at all as well.

I've faced this issue earlier, and we identified these users from Africa as people who were either using Blackberrys or connections available locally wherein the main server was located in the UK or in Europe. Excluding the countries and changing the advanced location settings did help us, but a few people will always be able to get through. 

Can you check the amount of invalid clicks that Google is identifying and refunding your money for? The account where I faced this issue had a high number of invalid clicks, wherein Google was tackling this problem reactively.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

Just to let you know that, for me at least, Alys's answer seems to have resolved the issue with all the search results now coing from people geographically in the location, rather than simply searching about the location.

Should put an end to the succession of conversions that I can't do anything about, that were also taking up a good chunk of budget, so thanks for that!

Jack