AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Untargeted Language "Click" How long until charges reversed??

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I've posted befor about my ads occasionally showing up on foreign (untargeted) countries/languages.

I have double/triple checked ALL of my settings and they are ALL correct and set for US and English Only.

I was reviewing my account (unwanted sites that show up on automatic placements) and I noticed a click (cost me .31)

on the site of oyunlar1.com  If you go to the site you will see that it's obviously Not English and should Not have shown my ad let alone a click.  Oddly enough, while viewing this site, I noticed other English ads showing.

Two questions:

1) Do I have to contact google for credit on something they should have pick up on?

2) Being that it's a foreign language and obviously showing English ads, is it possible that the site owner has their settings incorrect whether by mistake or maliciously on purpose to get the revenue??

Thanks In Advance,

RPquest

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Untargeted Language "Click" How long until charges reversed??

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I think you should contact support http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&hlrm=en&answer=8206 with all the details of your account. Sometimes the campaigns might have a bit of spill over and even invalid clicks. Yes some site owners do try to play trics for more revenue but your best shot is to contact adwords support for this one

Just tried the website oyunlar1.com/ and it has option for 4 languages at the top and one of the 4 languages is english 

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello RPquest,

I have just checked oyunlar1.com and it has option on the top right corner to change language to English.

If you do not want your ads to been shown on gaming sites you can exclude game categories under Exclusions.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi theniks,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try to contact support on Monday.

RPquest

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi NehaGupta,

I will definately change to not show on gaming sites but just because a site has an "option" for English, when I go to the site, it's Clearly showing English ads under foreign language portions of their site and I sure that must be some sort of violation under the terms of use.

Thanks,

RPquest

Re: Language targeting setting

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

RPquesttheniks and Neha;

Let's make sure that we are all "in line" with language targeting: language setting is aimed to target the USER's language and NOT the website language!

Refer to the wiki on that; AdWords Language Targeting;

@RPques; So, if your ad was shown on a non-English site, Keywords in your ad-group were matched to the content of the site (using contextual targeting.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

MosheTLV,

Thanks for the link to the additional language targeting as it did have some additional information & insite that I had not considered.

However; after further investigation into the issue at hand, I have discovered some additional info which I *think* still makes my point of my ad being shown on an incorrectly targeted website.

"So, if your ad was shown on a non-English site, Keywords in your ad-group were matched to the content of the site (using contextual targeting.)"

The keyword that triggered my ad was interior decorating on a Display ad (image).

I've viewed http://oyunlar1.com/  several times yet I can't determine why interior decorating would trigger my ad on this foreign languaged site.

Any ideas or thoughts on why??

Thanks Again,

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

RPquest

Here you are: 

Free Online Decoration Games

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

RPquest

Here you are: 

Free Online Decoration Games

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for looking at the issue; however, the term "Free Online Decoration Games" shows up on the url http://www.oyunlar1.com/barbiegames.asp  and I don't believe my ad was displayed on that url.

The url that is identified by the Automatic Placement History is www.oyunlar1.com/online.php 

There are 2 links on that paticular page, both of which go to http://www.oyunlar1.com/  which is foreign language version of the website.

I have a call into Google support and they are looking into the issue.  I'll post the results of their investigation once I receive it.

Thanks Again,

RPquest