AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Universal App Campaign - how to reach IOS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, I see universal app campaigns are super easy to set up but only target Android users to down load the app from the Google Play Store. What about the same app on the Apple App Store, how do you target these users. Do you have to set up additional campaigns for search and display and select Mobile App campaign type? If so you can't select only iOS only so is there any cross over. I have created a sep tracking script for iOS 

Second part of the question: What happens if the goal is to get new downloads as well as further engagement from existing users. In the universal app campaign you can only select one or the other, would you set up separate campaigns?

Thanks

Tamarin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Universal App Campaign - how to reach IOS?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Tamarin,

Universal App campaigns are only for promoting Android apps. To promote an iOS app, you will want to use the Mobile App Engagement campaign and Mobile App Install campaign types. So based on your goals (and the second part of your question), it sounds like you will want to create one of each of these campaigns.

Does that help?

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie

Thanks for your help. So If I create 3 campaigns. 1: Universal App for Android. 2: Search for mobile app install and mobile app engagement which I suspect is a display campaign, then how do we know there is no overlap for Android reaching the same users via universal app campaign and then for instance the separate search campaign as you cant select you're targeting only iOS users can you? I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if it doesn't.
Thanks so much
Tamarin

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Tamarin,

Not sure if you still need an answer, but just to clarify: is your question how to make sure that only Android users see your universal app campaign (for Android), and only iOS users see the other app campaigns advertising an iOS app?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie, yes this is correct, with the other campaigns set up for iOS how is there no cross over for Andriod which would be using the universal app campaign?

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi Tamarin,

When you set up a mobile app install or mobile app engagement campaign and select the app you want to advertise, it should show under "Devices" that it will target all compatible devices. For example, when I walk through creating a mobile app install campaign, I see the following:

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 10.50.34 AM.png

Let me know if you can see this, and if you have any other questions!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, I'm new to UAC. Am I right to say that UAC is a combination of Search in Play Store, YouTube App Installs and GDN/Admob install apps? Hence, if I sent up UAC, I don't need to do individual campaigns?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi Lindsey,

You are correct that Universal App Campaigns can reach the Play Store, YouTube, Google search, the Display Network, and other mobile apps, but I wouldn't say it is necessarily as simple as saying if you do UAC, you don't need other campaigns. That will depend on how much control you want to have over the campaign and how much time you have to manage it.

If you don't have a lot of time to manage a campaign, and would prefer for it to run on autopilot, you should go with the UAC. But if you wish to have more control over your cost per click, how much budget you want to spend per day on each ad network, or want to set more specific targeting, it's worthwhile to create separate, specific campaigns.

Does that help?
Cassie