AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Unexpected Location Targeting Problems

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a lead genertating site for removal companies. http://www.localmover.co.uk

The site is new and being tested for feasibilty, we are testing adwords campaigns that are targeting postal areas in the UK. At present we are only testing adwords for a handleful of areas which are the BR, CR, TW, SM and KT postal areas. Each postal area is setup with its own campaign using radius targeting so for example for the KT area we have a pin located in the center of the area with a 5 mile radius.

We are finding the following problems with our campaigns:

1) For the BR campaign we are only targeting a 5 mile radius area, however we seem to be getting clicks on ads by people who are 2 or 3 hundred miles aways in Wolverhampton, Leeds, Devon! We only want the ad to be shown and cliked by people in the area we targeting. Why are we getting clicks from people that far away? Strangley it only seems to happen on the BR campaign, none of the other campaigns suffer this problem!

2) For our CR area campaign we seem to be getting very little impressions and clicks (actually its pretty much none!). This campaign is set up the same way as the other campaigns with it havng 3 mile radius around a pin. When I check in the Ad Placement tool it is saying the ad is not being shown when viewing it from a location within the search radius. Why would this be?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LocalMover
September 2015

Re: Geo target, Geo -excludet and exclude by intent

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

LocalMover;

Targeting by postal codes (zip codes) - probably won't work in the UK (as in other parts of Europe).

you'll have to set a bigger geo- targeting area and exclude towns you don't work in - but included within the bigger area - as negative keywords.

E.g: target greater London and exclude -[North London]  ( as a negative Keywords).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: Unexpected Location Targeting Problems

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello LocalMover; Welcome; 

We have covered "targeting in the UK " in number of posts. (use the advanced search to search for posts that include targeting AND UK).

Start with this one: Advanced location options in the UK

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mover, 

This can be happened may be the user in far away from BR is searching for specific location in BR and may be the user in location BR using the IP of away from BR. 

I think it may help you....

HRMehrotra
On Google+

SEMag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks,

I have read up a bit more on the location topic and it's just really confusing as the location targeting for my campaigns is just not behaving the way explained, or I think it is explained!

I have one problem campaign and it's only this campaign that is causing a problem the other campaigns have similar location targeting settings and they are working as expected.

The problem campaign is targeting a small 5 mile radius just outside London but is receiving clicks from people 300 miles away for generic keywords without any location modifiers. These generic keywords are things like house mover or removal company.

Someone visting my site from 300 miles is of absolutely no use to me, it's wasted click and money for me and irrelevant for the person clicking my ad.

Why are they being served my ad and why is it only on this one campaign that this is happening and not my others?

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again LocalMover;

[edited] My earlier post was too confusing . Deleted.

In the UK you can target up to city level .You cannot target the UK by postal codes.

Your best setting would be to geo target the city you are doing business in. Just do not target by intent. (use the default settings for exclusion)

-Moshe

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moche,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the big question to answer for me is why I am having a problem with just one campaign!

I have 5 campaigns running, 4 of them run fine with only people in or close to the search radius clicking the ads. 

The other campaign is attracting clicks from all over the UK, this is what I don't understand! Why is this campaign doing this and the others are not?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
loccalMover;
I think the reason is that geo - targeting in the UK is not perfect, and IP allocation is attributed to one geographic area, while the user is physically in different area. That's my guess.

@loccalMover wrote:

The other campaign is attracting clicks from all over the UK, this is what I don't understand! Why is this campaign doing this and the others are not?

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,

What would be the best way for me to run my campaigns?

We are slowly rolling out the site across the UK postal areas, at the moment we only have the 4 postal areas covered.

Before we can add new postal areas we need to find removal firms to cover the areas so it will be a slow process and we need to try and target each postal area as closely as possible. That is why I was using a search radius to only include the relevant areas for each postal code.

There are a few other companies doing the same as me using adwords to direct traffic to their lead generating sites. Is there some sort of basic adwords format that works best for lead generating sites?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LocalMover
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

LocalMover;

Targeting by postal codes (zip codes) - probably won't work in the UK (as in other parts of Europe).

you'll have to set a bigger geo- targeting area and exclude towns you don't work in - but included within the bigger area - as negative keywords.

E.g: target greater London and exclude -[North London]  ( as a negative Keywords).