AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to ping landing page - Stop AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey All,

some of my landing pages are in certain time unable to ping (page is down). Sometime a page is down for one hour. Not only I pay for clicks with no conversions but my QS is hurt.

Is there a free or cheep solution which can pause my AW campaign during time page is down?

Or anything that can prevent my QS?

Thank you

- Lukas
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unable to ping landing page - Stop AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lukas,

your best option here would be a script that checks your landing pages and pauses the corresponding ads when the page is down and then reactivates them when the page is back up again. Do a simple search and you should find a few scripts out there.

Hope this helps

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Lukas,

If you know those certain times when the page is down, you can use custom ad scheduling to stop showing your ads on certain hours and/or days of the week:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404244?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@Clynton - I believe someone use such script. But how can I know it still works and what is the dark sides of the script. Therefore I am writing here so some can give me a script and some comment how to adjust it.

@Ahmed - that would be too easy Smiley Happy I don't know what time and for how long the page can be off.

Thanks
- Lukas

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/link-checker

Also you can make a general redirect in case a user accesses a page that is not available giving 404 error.

For example for WordPress there is this plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-404-redirect-to-homepage/

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@Adrian

- First link - I use new relic so I am informed about my servers very good (page down time), I just dont wanna play with AW if a script or app can do it for me.
-Second link - I can not link it on other page. The problem is with server and all pages are stored in same server.

Thank you
- Lukas

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This may be closer to what you search, but AdWords is made to work with functional hosting. Upgrade the hosting will be better than expecting a script to react , there will be delays and there is still a risk to pay for useless clicks.

http://www.optmyzr.com/scripts/landing-page-watch-dog/

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Now I'm on phone so I will check your link later. For sure it's better to have corking serve, in our case virtual server. For now it's only solution to prevent higher costs and QS.

Thanks
- Lukas

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Why not just to replace the hosting service with a reliable one? There are plenty - at an affordable price....
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Lukas M,

If your server is good, you don't have down time frequently. A page or site being down for an hour is bad performance on someone's part. Personally, I would work on resolving the issue with your server so you won't need to be concerned with down time affecting your QS.

So what's the deal with down time? Are you on a shared server that goes down when other sites on the same server crash? Does your ISP routinely take your server offline for maintenance and/or backup? Find out what's going on and fix it. If that means finding another hosting solution, do that.

This is worse than clicks with no conversions, these are clicks with no visit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords