AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

URL Exclusion ERROR

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a display campaign with adgroups specifically for "about.com"

Clicks from certain articles have conversions. Some articles I want to block from serving ads since they get me no conversions.

When I use the Exclude Placement tool, I almost always get an error

Placement URLs must be provided in a valid URL format.

This error happens when I select from the URLS list, so this doesn't make sense to me. I have to add blocked linked manually.

Exclude placements

[Edit on 10/1/2012: Fixed typos]

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by AbhishekS (Participant ✭ ✭ ✭)
September 2015

Re: URL Exclusion ERROR

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 16
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
yes excluding by (bisectional) categories groups like keywords or topics is the option. But i really want to be able to exclude concrete urls. would like that as a feature, especially thru the API.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Max,

I checked on the issue within my own account both ways, and it works just fine at the high-level: both manually and from the list of automatic placements. However, when I dig deeper to the micro-level, select some placements and click on See details, I  would bump into the same problem. Unfortunately it seems buggy. Will escalate on it right now.

Thanks for reporting.

Best,

Lakatos 

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Maxroizer,

I've escalated your issue internally to the support team. You'll be contacted by them if they need more details on the behavior you getting in your account.
Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for following up guys!

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maxroizer, 

I was notified that you recieved an answer to your questions from the support team. Thank you,

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Zee,

I am having this same issue on my account - is this a bug that is being fixed across the board or will they have to take a look at my account individually?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've come across this problem too. The issue seems to be that Adwords does not accept placements or placement exclusions when there are multiple levels in the URL. For example:

sample.com/levelone - This is accepted

sample.com/levelone/leveltwo/ - This will trigger an invalid URL message if you tried to exclude or add it as a placement

But if you add .htm or some other working extension, then the URL will be accepted.

Example:

sample.com/levelone/leveltwo.htm

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I just thought I would state that I am still having this issue, and have been for the last year with multiple accounts.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You can add extension of page apart from that I have seen that we can only add or exclude URLs that are at most two-level deep. For example

www.domain.com/sub1/sub2 (will work fine)
www.domain.com/sub1/sub2/sub3 (will show you error)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also noticed the same thing as puneetdceengg. I tried excluding placements from the detailed placements report and it showed me the same error as mentioned in the first post. Then I tried firs excluding first level domain and single directory name and it worked fine. As soon as I tried to exclude URL which are 3-level deep, then it showed the error.