AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Two Different Languages in a single campiagn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

My question here is, if I have two different languages in a single campaign with keywords and ad copies in both languages. How can I measure language wise performance?  how can I say if a particular language is performing well as compared to other one? so that I can further optimise my campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Two Different Languages in a single campiagn

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The simple answer is - don't do this... here's why...

Let's say you have a campaign which has both keywords and ads in Spanish and English.

Because you have your campaign set to both languages, any keyword can trigger any ad.

That means that a Spanish speaker using a Spanish keyword "could" trigger an ad in English and, presumably that would take them to an English landing page - not ideal.

And, of course, the opposite could happen with an English speaker getting served ads in Spanish and ending up on a Spanish landing page - if they click your ad, which since they wouldn't understand it, would be unlikely.

Ideally, you should run a campaign to the Spanish speakers in Spanish and separate campaign to the English speakers in English.

Google will not serve the ads in English to the English speakers and the ads in Spanish to the Spanish speakers... this probably would happen based on the historical CTR's after a while, but you'd end up with a lot of non-clicked ads because of the confusion before this happened, and that would adversely affect your CTR's - which impact on your quality scores and the downward spiral kicks into motion.

This is the first step towards optimising your campaign - get the languages right.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. You have pointed out right way of targeting. All though, just to let you know, these were old performing campaigns and I don't want to lose any historical performing data. Also, I have limitation to run these campaigns as it is.

Sorry, I have forgot to mention that I have ad group wise segregation.

Let's take same example, I have campaign targeting Spanish  & English language. Which have language specific ad groups with keywords & ad copies.

I can download the data and analyse as per ad group performance. But I wanted to know is there any option or tab available on the AdWords interface to get this data in few clicks.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"how can I say if a particular language is performing well as compared to other one?"

Measure conversion per ad group, since you have language specific ad groups.

First make sure you are tracking some sort of conversions, even if it is a conversion like "Visited at least 5 pages" . This way you will discover which AdWords elements contribute to sales and which not.

If the cost per conversion for a language is too high, start working on optimizing each ad group with the following :

1) check if the landing pages from the Ads in that ad group are well structured and can easily offer the information needed to convert . Sometimes an optimization is just changing the landing pages from the Ads to more relevant ones.

2) add negative keywords at the ad group level, for example expressions which mean an intent to study a problem, rather than to buy , like "how to"

3) add frequent search terms as exact match keywords to see their statistics better.

4) lower bids on low performing keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The problem is not really with the reporting - if we have our languages separated in our account structure then we can make a comparison between, say, Spanish and English quite easily.

The problem is that we cannot separate languages at the ad group level - but only at the campaign level.

In many cases you can have an ad group that only contains English keywords and ads, and another that only contains Spanish keywords and ads, but you will eventually run into problems...

Consider, for example, if you offer a service which uses the same word - hotel... a visitor searches for Paris Hotel... is this user English or Spanish? There is no way to know. And even if Google knows that this is a Spanish user, both the English ads and the Spanish ads are eligible to run. Again, the Spanish user could be served an English ad, which is what we are trying to avoid.

Of course, as Adrian points out, you need to have a meaningful conversion metric to make the comparison, but you still need to know that your languages are properly separated at the campaign level. Splitting your languages at the ad group level is a far less effective segmentation and will lead to cross language issues.

Consider, too, that you may want to run different budgets for the different languages - again, a campaign level setting. Or scheduling - or geo targeting (which often goes hand in hand with language settings) - all of these are set at the campaign level, not at the ad group level.