AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Two AdGroups - Exact Match & Phrase Match. Competing against self?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

This seems like a stupid question, but worth asking anyway.  What I want to do is have two separate campaigns for [Exact] and "phrase" match keywords, so that I can more easily monitor and compare the impact of each.

If you have two adgroups set up for phrase and exact, presumably you'd be competing against yourself?

Furthermore, if I was to combine these into a single adgroup, would they still be competing against each other?

Apologies for the basic nature of the questions, I almost 100% sure I know the answer but I've always taken this stuff for granted - I'd like to gauge opinion from others.

Thanks,

Mark

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Two AdGroups - Exact Match & Phrase Match. Competing against self?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes they are competing against each other. (You mean the exact [sample keyword] vs. "sample keyword" right?)

Although more likely the exact match keyword will be taken if the user inputs the exact string.

Depends on the quality score and historical data for that particular keyword.

If you setup an adgroup from scratch then you will most likely not experience this effect and exact keyword will always trigger if it matches

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes they are competing against each other. (You mean the exact [sample keyword] vs. "sample keyword" right?)

Although more likely the exact match keyword will be taken if the user inputs the exact string.

Depends on the quality score and historical data for that particular keyword.

If you setup an adgroup from scratch then you will most likely not experience this effect and exact keyword will always trigger if it matches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much for your quick answer ArneTR!  So, you would suggest putting both [exact] and "phrase" keywords in the same AdGroup?  I know exact match is going to be more well targeted, but also I'm aware that phrase match will enable me to take advantage of the longer tail phrases I might not otherwise have thought of for exact match.  I'd like to trial both alongside each other, without competing against myself.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Well I see no benefit of splitting it into two adgroups.

I would only recommend a new adgroup if you have different AdText, AdTitle, DestinationURL DisplayURL

AdGroups serve the purpose of a "logical seperation", which is to resemble a sub-part of your site.

Google enforces this by allowing only one DestinationURL per AdGroup.

You may further enhanche this, meaning to split one AdGroup into seperate ones, if you have different keyword sets.

For example a set about "cats" and one about "dogs".

If just the match-type differs I would rather keep them in one adgroup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The reason I want to do it is to compare results (i.e. clicks and conversions) between exact and phrase match.  It would be the same keywords, the same destination URL and the same ad text - I want everything else to be the same, except for the type of match.

I think I'll do what you say but perhaps do some A/B testing instead.  Good to clarify though, so thanks again for your time and input.

Cheers ArneTR!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

I agree with ArneTR, I too prefer to keep different match types in same adgroup. In this case you can see search terms report to analyse which match type is working best for you. And then ca optimize your campaign accordingly.

And if you are keeping seperate adgroups for different match types... You will see warning for some keywords when you house over mouse to speech bubble next to keyword Status such as keywords is triggering ad from another keywords [keyword]> Adgroup: Adgroup name.

In this case you can add adgroup level negatives in order to avoid conflicts.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adgroup level negatives... that is the answer - thanks Neha!  So in my "phrase" match adgroup, I could add all of the [exact match] phrases as negative keywords.

Surely that would mean no conflicts?  And would you add phrase match as negatives in exact match group?  I know that exact match should only trigger exact matches, but is this still good practice?  Any positives or negatives from doing that?

Cheers,

Mark

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

No, no need to add negatives in exact match adgroups. untill unless its triggering any close varaint of exact match keyword that u won't want. 

Please read new update by Google, if you haven't yet here.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Neha, really appreciate your help. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

you're welcome! Smiley Happy