AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

True-View In-Stream question : is the CTA overlay active ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I noticed that even if I have a reasonable amount of views on a video Ad ( TrueView In-Stream) , I mean over 8000 , the CTA overlay is not reported as being clicked not even once.

I am wondering if the CTA is running during the display of the video Ad or if it is somehow excluded from the video during the Ad. Is the CTA only active for non-paid views ? 

If CTA it is excluded from the video Ad runtime , can Adnotations run during the times when the Video is presented as a TrueView Ad , in order to motivate the users to click ? Adnotations are a feature to put a layer of text over the video directly within the video editor of youtube.

Does anyone have a clue on this matter ?

[edit] This statistic should help the diagnosis

video-statistics.png

[later edit] Another update on the statistics from today 13 april 2014, now I got 5 clicks on the CTA, but still the ratio of  CTA impressions versus Ad Views is very small 126 / 12515  . 

Is this situation normal ?

CTA-overlay-very-few-impressions.png

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: True-View In-Stream question : is the CTA overlay active ?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Adrian,

I hope you are doing well today! I am happy to shed some light in regards to the Call-to-Action overlays receiving a low amount of clicks. Call-to-Action overlays are eligible to show on TrueView in-search and TrueView in-display ad plays. CTAs are also eligible to show whenever a video is played back on the YouTube channel or watch page or for organic views of the video. Keep in mind that the CTA will only run on videos that are not monetized. If the majority of the traffic is coming from TrueView In-Stream ads then you will see very few impressions (or none at all) for CTAs.

In terms of Annotations, this may be a better route for you. The benefit is that they can show with in-stream, in-search and in-display ads. The downside is that annotations can only be used to link to other pages on YouTube. For example, you can create a link to “check out my other vidoes” or “click here to subscribe to my channel”. Annotations cannot link to external websites, whereas CTAs can link to a website or other sites on the internet. Companion Banners are also another option you may want to consider. Companion banners which accompany a Trueview/InStream ad will show up on the top right corner when an InStream ad is running. When an InStream video ad ends (or is skipped) the companion banner remains on the YouTube page and the user can click on it any time. I hope you find this useful and feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Craig

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Adrian,

I hope you are doing well today! I am happy to shed some light in regards to the Call-to-Action overlays receiving a low amount of clicks. Call-to-Action overlays are eligible to show on TrueView in-search and TrueView in-display ad plays. CTAs are also eligible to show whenever a video is played back on the YouTube channel or watch page or for organic views of the video. Keep in mind that the CTA will only run on videos that are not monetized. If the majority of the traffic is coming from TrueView In-Stream ads then you will see very few impressions (or none at all) for CTAs.

In terms of Annotations, this may be a better route for you. The benefit is that they can show with in-stream, in-search and in-display ads. The downside is that annotations can only be used to link to other pages on YouTube. For example, you can create a link to “check out my other vidoes” or “click here to subscribe to my channel”. Annotations cannot link to external websites, whereas CTAs can link to a website or other sites on the internet. Companion Banners are also another option you may want to consider. Companion banners which accompany a Trueview/InStream ad will show up on the top right corner when an InStream ad is running. When an InStream video ad ends (or is skipped) the companion banner remains on the YouTube page and the user can click on it any time. I hope you find this useful and feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Craig

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I would have two more related questions, regarding video Ads and sending viewers to a website.

1) I am not recording any "website clicks" on the "mobile segmentation of the video Ad or on the tablet views. Is it because people are not in the habit of tapping the video Ad on their phones or tablets or is this feature simply disabled for mobiles ?

2) You wrote that annotations are not for sending viewers to a website but I have some signals that this could be achieved after searching "how to create external links from within a YouTube video" 

Here is one signal, from a TC in the youtube forum

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/youtube/o0Ns8uJjah8/MgaxjVbEnuIJ

"If I have an annotation to an external website, I generally have the URL showing as a title in the video itself"

Here is the full tutorial about "Associated Website Annotations"

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2887282?hl=en

And I have extracted from a video tutorial the steps :

1) Video Manager >>Channel settings >>Associated website

2) From the same account setup for youtube and adwords, the user sets up the "Webmaster Tools" account.

3) In webmaster tools , adding a new user : Select website >>Configuration >>Associates >>Add a new user>>entering the email from the google account and selecting youtube

4) From youtube >Channel Settings >> Features >>verification of the account as a partner ( for monetization) by clicking Verify and entering the sms code

5)Going to a video to the Annotation option should show up a blue bar with the message "Enable your account for external annotation links" so just click on Enable

6) From the annotation menu a new option appears called "associated website" but it works only after a couple of minutes after following step 5. It could give an error if done imediatelly

Will this type of annotation "Associated Website Annotations" be active during a TrueView In-Stream Ad ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Having the questions as Adrian, and would need a clarification of this:

"Call-to-Action overlays are eligible to show on TrueView in-search and TrueView in-display ad plays."

Does that mean overlays are not shown with In-Stream ads?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I have found out that the CTA overlay does not show during the serving of a TrueView In-Stream Ad.

Also the Annotations which you might expect to help you generate clicks are inactive during the serving of this video Ad format.

Basically when the TrueView In-Stream Ad runs you have to include call to actions inside the video , by video editing, such as a permanent message on the bottom of the video, if you want to increase the CTR rate and to obtain clicks which are not charged.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian.

I suspected this was the case, but the documentation is really confusing.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I agree about the documentation being really confusing. That and the very confusingly worded questions in the Video Advertising exam make it pretty difficult to pass!