AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Traffic Estimator is much different than actual adwords bid estimate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good Day,

The google adwords traffic estimator shows average position and cost much different than the actual campain.

For example traffic estimator has kewords "life insurance" at position 3.2 with an average cost of $1.43.

Once I add the key words to the campain I receive a notice that BELOW FIRST PAGE BID ESTIMATE OF $38.

Is traffice estimator Out Of Order?

thank you,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Traffic Estimator is much different than actual adwords bid estimate

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

Yes, the Estimator is like any other estimate--based on what's happened in the past or what seems to have happened. I use the data is provides as an indicator of where to start with a campaign, but always understand that I'm going to have to make a lot of changes to get where I want to be. Woman Happy

Among other things, the Estimator is affected by keyword quality score--if a keyword has low quality in your campaign, then the tool's estimates are not going to be as accurate. 

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello termlife2012 ; welcome to Adwords;

"Out of order " at Google does happen, but not frequent... Smiley Happy

However, as its name calls, it is an estimate, and like any estimation it has its own inaccuracy / error.

Read this comprehensive discussion on the traffic estimator performance, and possible reasons for estimate errors .

Traffic Estimator Doubts and Issues

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Something is wrong. Traffic Estimator is saying $1.43 and the bids are around $38. That is way off from a starting point.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Good morning.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying, "the bids are around $38" but I'm going to make a guess and say that you're seeing the first page bid estimates showing up significantly higher than the traffic estimator estimates. That's normal, since these two metrics aren't based on precisely the same data and they're not updated/changed on the same schedule. For one thing, a first page bid estimate tends to be more closely related to your own account--it takes things like the keyword quality score for the keyword into account.

Also, it's important to remember that the "first page bid estimates" are the system's estimate of what you'd need to bid in order to make your ads eligible to show on the first page almost all the time. It's quite possible to capture a significant percentage of first-page ad shows without bidding that high.

If you're seeing unusually first page bid estimates, I recommend that you look to your keyword quality scores. Make sure you've built small, tightly themed Ad Groups and that your ad text is very closely related to the keywords in the group. With some time and tweaking, you should see your costs decrease and start to stabilize.

(Which is not to say that there aren't markets that are simply very expensive for clicks, of course.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*