AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Hope someone can explain me this reply from Google about ad being diaaproved. There are no trademark words in the ad, but url of the landing page has a abbreviation to other trademark.. not sure what it means, I got this email back, 

Dear AdWords Advertiser,

After reviewing your account, we found that one or more of your ads or

keywords have been disapproved. Until you edit your ads or keywords to

make them compliant, your ads unfortunately won't be able to show up on

Google, our search partners, or on Display Network placements.

Below you'll find the reason why your ads or keywords have been

disapproved, and at the end of this email, you'll find a Problem Report

that includes details about which ads or keywords have been disapproved

and what you can do to fix them.

====================

Disapproval reason

====================

[Trademarks] Trademark in Ad Content or Keyword Insertion: Due to

trademark complaints, we don't allow advertisers to use certain

trademarked terms or elements in the content of their Google AdWords

campaigns unless they comply with our Reseller/Informational Site

policy.

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Trademark issue

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Asslam,

Google doesn't investigate display URLs in response to trademark complaints. Only the first three lines of ad text are investigated. Please visit the article below for more information:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=106481

In addition to this, if an ad is using a trademarked term in a generic way and the term is not used in reference to the trademark in question, the ad should not be violation of our trademark policy.   

Are there any other terms in your ad text that could be trademarked and causing the disapproval?

If you are using the term not in reference to the trademark in question, I would advise 'requesting an exception'. If your ad is disapproved for a policy violation that you don't think is applicable to your ad or product, you can request an exception to the disapproval. Please see the following article for more information:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138481

I hope this information is helps!

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello asslam , welcome;

You are using a trademark name in your ad text . Using a trademark name in the ad text (or in the URL) is against the Policy, Thus ,your ad was not approved.

Read more on trademark policy here

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi asslam,

In addition to Moshe's bang on reply, I would also like to add that Google might consider granting authorization for using trademark terms if the trademark owner fills in the authorization form to allow you to use those terms. See this for more details.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Asslam,

In addition to the above replies I'd like to note that more liberal rules are applicable to resellers and informational sites in the US, Canada, the UK, and Ireland. The fact that Google's mail specifically mentioned the Reseller/Informational Site

policy makes me assume that you reside in one of the above countries.

A detailed explanation can be found at the web address linked-to below:

*** Trademark policy for resellers and informational sites

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=145626

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Asslam,

You say the URL includes an abbreviation that includes a trademarked term? All of the rules for the rest of hte ad apply to the Display URL. If youare showing that trademark in the Display URL, you'll need to change that. The Display URL is not required to be a reachable page, but I prefer it to be that way.

You have 2 choices:

1. Change the URL of the landing page to be compliant with Trademark rules.

2. Show a Display URL that is different from the landing page that is compliant.

Whenever I show a Display URL different from the destination URL, I create an empty file in the location of the

Display URL and redirect to the correct landing page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you all for your time and reply.. 

I can relate more to Pete's answer to my issue. 

Our school name is Sydney Business School and the abbreviation on our website navigation is www.SBS/..... 

Therefore, here we have a trademark issue as SBS is not our trademark. SBS is only being used in the web address and not for as brand name anywhere. 

Not sure how our web guys will be able change the whole of the web address navigation from SBS to Sydney Business School?

Any thoughts.. 

Thanks you all, 

Asslam

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Asslam,

Google doesn't investigate display URLs in response to trademark complaints. Only the first three lines of ad text are investigated. Please visit the article below for more information:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=106481

In addition to this, if an ad is using a trademarked term in a generic way and the term is not used in reference to the trademark in question, the ad should not be violation of our trademark policy.   

Are there any other terms in your ad text that could be trademarked and causing the disapproval?

If you are using the term not in reference to the trademark in question, I would advise 'requesting an exception'. If your ad is disapproved for a policy violation that you don't think is applicable to your ad or product, you can request an exception to the disapproval. Please see the following article for more information:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138481

I hope this information is helps!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@RachelM;

I don't have specific examples handy, but in all cases I saw, were a brand name was included in the display URL, the ad was not approved.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’