AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark Words in Display Banner Ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Can I use Trademark Words like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic in Banner Ads for Google Display Network for Targeted location in UK.

In this link https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en I read we can use Trademark Keywords in Text Ad for Targeting in UK but I am not sure about Display ADs.

So can i Use Trademark keywords in Banners for targeting in UK.

Looking forward for Help.

Thanks in Advance

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author patel n
September 2015

Re: Trademark Words in Display Banner Ads

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well .... I disagree with Pete, a bit, on this.. (Rarely to happen... Smiley Embarassed)

The trademark Policy (last revised in May) says the following:

>>>" The trademark policies described here apply only to the use of trademarks in Google AdWords text ads. These ads are clearly marked as "Ads" on Google search results pages and as "Ads by Google" on our Display Network.

>>>" Other types of trademark complaints, like trademarks used in sites that appear in Google search results, are not covered under our investigation process. For any such concerns, please see how to contact the site owner directly."

Thus, for banners (you asked about banners - not text ads) - on the GDN, you should get authorization by the trade-mark owner. Otherwise, you might be violating the owner's trademark rights (when showing your banners, with trademarks you do not own, without an explicit approval).

Having said that - to be certain - follow's Pete's advice and call CS.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It depends on the Company you are trying to market the products . There are some companies who dont want there name to be marketed with the trademark but if you are a retailer and the company marketing policy allows you to market with there name and trademarks as a re seller or retailer you can use there name .

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi

No;

You cannot, unless authorized by the trade-name owner;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi patel n,

The policy on display ads is not clear. TC's have been advised to steer clear of trademark and other legal issues. Your best bet is to call Google support for an answer.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author patel n
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well .... I disagree with Pete, a bit, on this.. (Rarely to happen... Smiley Embarassed)

The trademark Policy (last revised in May) says the following:

>>>" The trademark policies described here apply only to the use of trademarks in Google AdWords text ads. These ads are clearly marked as "Ads" on Google search results pages and as "Ads by Google" on our Display Network.

>>>" Other types of trademark complaints, like trademarks used in sites that appear in Google search results, are not covered under our investigation process. For any such concerns, please see how to contact the site owner directly."

Thus, for banners (you asked about banners - not text ads) - on the GDN, you should get authorization by the trade-mark owner. Otherwise, you might be violating the owner's trademark rights (when showing your banners, with trademarks you do not own, without an explicit approval).

Having said that - to be certain - follow's Pete's advice and call CS.

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

yes true.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

truee