AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Appreciate your comments . 

For Instance : I have successfully trademarked and registered my brand "Xboxone". I am now free to use TM or R within the word "Xboxone".  

- I believe nobody can advertise/bid in google adwords for the word "Xboxone" 

- If yes to the above question, Only I can advertise in google for "Xboxone" 

- If yes to above, there would not be any competitor and only my adv will appear on top for the lowest price(.01c)

I have a search volume of 50,000 for my registered and trademarked brand, and if I can advertise in adwords for the lowest bid and drive them to my eshop for purchase. 

Please correct me if I am wrong . 

I do not want to reveal my brand and hence explained in the above scenarios. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Trademark Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kris, the situation is not quite as you describe, as follows:

Advertisers will be restricted from using the term in their Ad text but not in their Keywords.  So, for example, I could use "buy xboxone" as a Keyword, but I couldn't put "Buy XBoxOne" as a headline for my Ad.  Even if I did, Google will allow the use of that trademarked term in the Ad itself until such time as the owner makes a complaint (and the complaint is upheld) - it's not automatic.

As above, that's not true, anyone can use "xboxone" as a Keyword and show Ads.

- If yes to above, there would not be any competitor and only my adv will appear on top for the lowest price(.01c)

Again, the first assumption isn't true, so the above isn't true either.  However, even if it were true, the price you pay for Ads is not purely based upon competition.  Google wants to show high-quality, relevant Ads to their customers and they do this through the use of the Quality Score.  If your Ads don't meet a requried Quality Score they may not show at all and if they do show with a better score, your CPC will almost certainly not be $0.01.

I hope this helps,

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Trademark Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kris, the situation is not quite as you describe, as follows:

Advertisers will be restricted from using the term in their Ad text but not in their Keywords.  So, for example, I could use "buy xboxone" as a Keyword, but I couldn't put "Buy XBoxOne" as a headline for my Ad.  Even if I did, Google will allow the use of that trademarked term in the Ad itself until such time as the owner makes a complaint (and the complaint is upheld) - it's not automatic.

As above, that's not true, anyone can use "xboxone" as a Keyword and show Ads.

Again, the first assumption isn't true, so the above isn't true either.  However, even if it were true, the price you pay for Ads is not purely based upon competition.  Google wants to show high-quality, relevant Ads to their customers and they do this through the use of the Quality Score.  If your Ads don't meet a requried Quality Score they may not show at all and if they do show with a better score, your CPC will almost certainly not be $0.01.

I hope this helps,

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits