AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking the keyword destination URL in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello..

I am bit confused in tracking the destination URL as i am using keyword specific destination URL in keyword inserted ads. Google analytic is showing ad- destination URL though i have used keyword insertion..!!

Is it recommended to use different keyword specific destination URLs in the same ad group?

Re: Tracking the keyword destination URL in analytics

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi there,

It's important to distinguish that keyword insertion and keyword destination URLs are two different things.

Here's why you'd use keyword-level destination URLs:
Your ad leads to example.com/products in the destination URL, but for keyword X, you want users to go to another page. So you'd set the keyword-level destination URL to example.com/keywordX.
If you want this to show in Analytics, you shouldn't have to do anything if you're using auto-tagging. But if you're using manual tagging, you'll need to tag this keyword URL in addition to the ad-level URL.

Keyword insertion is when you want the ad copy itself (like the headline) to change based on what the user is searching for. You can read more about this here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/74992?hl=en

Hope this helps!