AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Product Listing Ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, I have set up a product ads campaign for the USA (as now required) is there a way to count/track which products have been clicked on so I know what im paying for?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Product Listing Ads

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Huggettm,

Glad you are jumping on the (profitable) bandwagon.

We currently create an adwords_label for each individual product. We can then bid separately on each sale.

You can also create a custom report in Google analytics with the landing page, purchase information and CPC.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply - sounds complicated! Ill look into it.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

@david-nationalp - great suggestions for tracking specific items.

You can also check out the keyword details report to see which keywords have been triggering your Product Listing Ads, and then add negative keywords as appropriate.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David,

When you created an adwords label for each individual product did you create a seperate data feed for each product then link this to adwords with each seperate group?  The only option I came across is managing my data feed within adwords/merchant an ultizing the bid for all of my products.  Althrough this is counter productive considering different products have different keywords an tracking this could cause misinterteped data. 

Next question, is there a way to edit/manage each individual listing within my product listing feed?  Thank you for your time. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dan,

Glad to have you here.

I believe you think I was referring to the labels that you can tag the adwords accounts with...

I am actually talking about an additional field in your merchant center feed called adwords_labels. You can add anything you want there, and then filter by those labels.

So you submit just one feed, making sure that you added the adwords_labels column. In Adwords you can then create different ad groups targeted towards individual SKU's.

With the latest version of Adwords Editor, we actually bulk upload new "auto-targets" by SKU, and we now know what we are paying per sale at the SKU level.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David,

Your Awesome! Very helpful, got it Smiley Happy

add a column in the data feed with attributes [adwords_grouping] labels.  Very helpful for adjusting the bids for each category/product Smiley Very Happy

I love this community, I will try to give back an help anyone else!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
So you add adwords_labels into the feed and then go to your adwords account and give them the labels?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The problem we have under Google Analytic reports are not showing Destination URL for the PLA campaign. its showing (not set) under Destination URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Raheel,

Unfortunately, Google matches up the destination URL field from Adwords directly. Since Adwords doesn't track the Destination URL for PLA's, it doesn't import into analytics.

Besides the solution I offered above, you can also (as a workaround) look at the landing pages (under behavior>>site content) in analytics, and it will (roughly) match up.

- David