AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Track Direct Emails Instead of FIlling Out a Contact Form?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Here's the situation:

Someone lands on our website from an ad, instead of filling out a contact form, they click an email link on the site and email us, how can we not only track when they click the email, but actually follow through and email us?

We've thought of this solution but wonder if there is an existing, or superior solution.

The website has a plugin that dynamically changes the email links on the site based on the inbound link. 

eg.

1) A user clicks an AdWords ad (UTM's used).

2) Our website plugin detects the UTM and swaps out the regular email displayed on the site (example@gmail.com) to (example+adwords@gmail.com)

4) The user emails us after seeing (example+adwords@gmail.com)

5) We can see how many emails we get at this specific changed email.

Taking this a step further would be to have a unique email address for each advertising platform used, so you could segment emails based on ad traffic source.

Even better, create an email counter that then uploads the conversions through the AdWords API as offline conversions, then, the data is in AdWords.

Thoughts!? Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Track Direct Emails Instead of FIlling Out a Contact Form?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Tracking emails wouldn't be possible using AdWords, as conversion tracking requires a URL (with conversion tracking code) to load, after a conversion on the web page.

Instead of a plugin that changes the email address based on the traffic source, you can use a contact form on the web page, and use Analytics to segment conversions by traffic source.

Using a contact form not only gives the convenience of conversion tracking, but also enhances the objective of your landing page. A landing page with a clear call to action with a contact form, would drive more conversions compared to an email link.

Having a thank you page to load after a contact form conversion would also help in defining remarketing lists and custom combinations to later target people who've converted or not converted, based on the campaign goals.

Hope that helps!

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Yes I am very familiar with contact forms. My question refers to situations where there is a contact form but also an email address link.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Robert,

I thought you were considering email link over contact form, as the subject line suggests. In such a situation, I'd remove the email link and go with contact form, as tracking email conversions is comparatively complex (though they can be uploaded as offline conversions as you said) than contact forms. If I had to choose between the two, I'd rather go with only contact form, as tracking is simple and the purpose is served Smiley Happy

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hey Robert O,

I could help you with this, but there are so many variables involved it might not be worth the effort.

Counting emails will have to be done on your end. I'd set up a separate mailbox for each such email address. If they are set up as aliases, filter the messages so the end up in separate folders. This will give you a raw count of emails received.

You can specify the subject in the mailto: link, if that's what you are using. That subject could include the gclid from the AdWords click. You could then upload the conversion to Google, if the user doesn't erase the gclid data first. You can specify the body of the message, but it doesn't work for all mail clients, and the user can still delete that data.

In either case, the data will not be complete. But it may be better than nothing. Is the thinking that some folks would rather respond via email than with a form on your site? Or maybe they'll write it down and email you later?

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Sumanth,

In some situations, just having the contact form might be an appropriate solution. Overall I feel from a CRO perspective that having both ways to contact a business is the most convenient for a user.

Petebardo,

I think that with any business that caters to older clients, they are much more likely to simply find an email address on a site and open up the old email client and directly email that address rather than using a contact form. I would have to agree that some data is better than none.