AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Topic campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

what can I do to improve my "topic" display campaigns?

I think that adding "keywords" would only restrict my reach, is that correct?

thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Topic campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Topic campaigns are very broad by nature.This can be good to branch out further on the display network when the usual keyword options are not enought.

I see them work best for lead-generation, but not as much for e-commerce without additional settings.

• One thing you can do is choose smaller topics to tighten the scope of your targeting. If you do, I highly recommend targeting one topic in each adgroup for that campaign. It's easier to see what's working and what's not cost-wise. From there you can adjust bids and get a clearer picture of your ad copy winners. (With a targeting method this broad, I like to start our with several ads per adgroup/ topic to test the water and then trim out what converts less).
  • You can combine your topic campaign with keywords. This will probably reduce the traffic you are seeing because the campaign will now only show on pages what match the keywords you added, so you might as well just create a keyword-only targeted campaign. When the topic also happens to match, then the bid you set for the topic will override the bid you set for the matched keyword. It won't target topics first and then refine by keyword like I bet you were thinking (because I used to think that too!). You CAN target only the instances when keyword and topic match at the same time by changing your targeting options in the campaign settings (under Networks and Devices > Display network, changing Broad to Specific), but that further reduces your exposure.
  • You can combine with an audience. This could be really interesting, like if you are in the Golf industry, you can target the Topic: Weather and add the Audience: Golf. so people who like golf that are checking out the weather (planning a tee time?) see your ad at the best moment. In this case, the audience is matched first, and when the topic also matches, the topic bid overules.  To target ONLY when a Golf audience member is on a Weather related website, change that campaign Network option above to Specific.
  • Refine your campaign with placement reporting and bid adjustment. From the reporting tab you can run a report that shows you the Automatic placements by Domain, or by clicking on the See URL list button on the Display network Placements tab within the account. Exclude domains that are costly, like double your target CPA and haven't converted. You may find that the placement was not really related to your topic afterall. This is also a great opportunity to add in negative keywords for your campaign too. Even if you do not have positive keywords for this campaign, negative keywords are accepted as a way to keep you ads off of less relevant sites.

Overall, remember to set up clear tests until you know whats working and what's not!

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Floriana,

It may restrict your reach if the keywords are very specific and long in terms of word count. However, if you keep them broad (1-2 words), this could actually help by showing your ad next to relevant content. You can also dig into your display network reports to find out what sites arn't converting and  add them to your exclusion list, or increase bids for sites that are converting.

Testing different ad copy & ad type suchs as images ads can also help.

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello floriana;

If I got you correctly you are refereeing to the Display Network;

Since Google uses contextual targeting to find relevant pages on the Display Network, I strongly recommend to add Keywords, giving Google "a tool" to find a better matching between your ads and sites (on the Display Network).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Topic campaigns are very broad by nature.This can be good to branch out further on the display network when the usual keyword options are not enought.

I see them work best for lead-generation, but not as much for e-commerce without additional settings.

• One thing you can do is choose smaller topics to tighten the scope of your targeting. If you do, I highly recommend targeting one topic in each adgroup for that campaign. It's easier to see what's working and what's not cost-wise. From there you can adjust bids and get a clearer picture of your ad copy winners. (With a targeting method this broad, I like to start our with several ads per adgroup/ topic to test the water and then trim out what converts less).
  • You can combine your topic campaign with keywords. This will probably reduce the traffic you are seeing because the campaign will now only show on pages what match the keywords you added, so you might as well just create a keyword-only targeted campaign. When the topic also happens to match, then the bid you set for the topic will override the bid you set for the matched keyword. It won't target topics first and then refine by keyword like I bet you were thinking (because I used to think that too!). You CAN target only the instances when keyword and topic match at the same time by changing your targeting options in the campaign settings (under Networks and Devices > Display network, changing Broad to Specific), but that further reduces your exposure.
  • You can combine with an audience. This could be really interesting, like if you are in the Golf industry, you can target the Topic: Weather and add the Audience: Golf. so people who like golf that are checking out the weather (planning a tee time?) see your ad at the best moment. In this case, the audience is matched first, and when the topic also matches, the topic bid overules.  To target ONLY when a Golf audience member is on a Weather related website, change that campaign Network option above to Specific.
  • Refine your campaign with placement reporting and bid adjustment. From the reporting tab you can run a report that shows you the Automatic placements by Domain, or by clicking on the See URL list button on the Display network Placements tab within the account. Exclude domains that are costly, like double your target CPA and haven't converted. You may find that the placement was not really related to your topic afterall. This is also a great opportunity to add in negative keywords for your campaign too. Even if you do not have positive keywords for this campaign, negative keywords are accepted as a way to keep you ads off of less relevant sites.

Overall, remember to set up clear tests until you know whats working and what's not!