AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Top position to convert a brand name as an affiliate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

I am going to promote brand keywords as an affiliate marketer. I want to promote a product name for google search and I will be allowed to bid on the brand name to get brand name traffic. However, Do I have to be in the top 1-3 positions in order to convert this type of traffic? 

Thanks!

Sean

Re: Top position to convert a brand name as an affiliate?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Sean

Good question. 

Generally speaking, position doesn't have much (if anything) to do with conversion rate. 

However, position is directly linked to total conversions. 

This is because the higher your position, the higher (in general and proportionately) your CTR is. So even if the ConvR remains the same, if you have a higher position you might get a higher volume of clicks, and as such more conversions. 

That said, the above scenario doesn't hold up if you're working with a limited budget. As the higher positions will generally cost higher CPCs, which means your daily budget will run out with fewer clicks. 

So it's swings and roundabouts with this question, but in general you will find that the relevance of your keywords and ads, coupled with a good landing page and offering will boost your ConvR chances.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sean,

This is an excellent question that I get asked a lot by clients. I can say from experience you definitely don't need to be in the top positions to generate conversions. I had a client with a limited daily budget who always wanted to be in the top spot for brand name traffic as a reseller. By lowering bids to positions 4 to 5, we got him more traffic for his budget which led to more conversions.

I would recommend setting your bid where you are comfortable and work on increasing quality score to improve position without having to increase bids. I would also look at what other people bidding on that brand name call out in their ad and see what you can offer that differentiates you. For example, free shipping, sales, or promotions that would be appealing and lead people to click on your ad even in lower positions.

There are some benefits to being in the top 3 spots though. If you have a daily budget that isn't limited you'll generally get more traffic. Also, sitelinks are only eligible to show in those top spots. If a client has a large enough budget, I'll always try to go for the top for visibility but you can definitely run a successful AdWords campaign with lower ad positions.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jack & Bethany!

Thanks so much for connecting with me here. To excellent answers to my question and I appreciate you taking the time out to involve your input!

So I have been testing this brand traffic and I've had mixed results so far. In positions 1-3, I get more traffic on a daily basis and some days I convert this traffic to my recommended merchant and some days I dont convert and make a sale. I am losing money right now.

So I want to improve the Conversion rate of my lander to improve the clicks to the recommended merchant. Thats the first thing I need to improve. As of right now, I cant get the campaign profitable in positions 1-3 because the cost of CPC's are high and I am not doing a good enough job of getting a high % of my visitors to click to the merchant. 

However, if I am in lower positions, I get less traffic, the cpcs are lower and It does take me longer to make a sale. If I am in lower positions, even though it takes longer to make a conversion, I am in profit. So thats good. If I improve the conversion rate from my lander to the merchant, I'll make more sales from my low volume of visitors. Also.. if I keep testing ads against each other to improve their CTR, I'll get more visitors for less money. So my ROI will increase. If that happens and I am getting great CTR on my ads and my CR is improving all the time on my lander, I will then increase my bids to get to the top 3 positions. This means more clicks and more sales and a great ROI.

So I need to test and improve my lander and ads in lower positions first and then when I am getting good ROI, I will increase my bids to compete with the top 1-3 competition.

Is this the appropriate way forward?

I'd love your input on this.

Thanks guys Smiley Wink

Sean

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Sean,

I like your logic and this is definitely the way forward that I would take personally. Hope it works out for you!

Do let us know any more interesting feedback.

Cheers
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jack!

I appreciate your feedback on this.

I'll continue on with testing ads for improved CTR & try to increase the CR of my lander to the merchant.

I'll come back in a few weeks and let you know how I am doing.

Cheers!